Landscape material flickering

Hi there!

I created a landscape material with dynamic tiling following a tutorial.

Everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to add a normal map (tried both with and without tiling on it) and a constant flickering appeared at far distances. I’m working with UE 5.3. That’s my material BP: LandscapeMaterial posted by anonymous | blueprintUE | PasteBin For Unreal Engine

LandscapeMaterialFlickering~1

Rebuilding landscape or lightning doesn’t seem to solve the issue. I used the “Open World” layout to try this, and the only modification I made on the level is the landscape material.

If anyone gave me any help with that I’d be so grateful. Thanks in advance!

Fade the normal map strength by distance maybe? This looks like it may be aliasing which can be caused by a lack of mipmaps. Basically the detail gets very small - sub-pixel - and at angles planar to the camera, the pixel being shown will jitter, in this case between darker and lighter pixels. You can try different mip gen settings, or just weaken the normal map when far away (using the pixel depth node) so it the details are not causing artifacts at distances too far to notice them anyway.

I’ll be trying that tomorrow. Thank you a lot for your reply!

It got a lot better doing what you said, but the fade between near/far distance keeps flickering sometimes.

Maybe I’ll try other kind of material without dynamic changes. Since the final enviroment I’m gonna use it’s pretty small, I thought about painting the normals with the paint landscape mode to create actual variations around the map.

Anyway, if I find a solution to the issue with dynamic tiling I’ll post it. Thank you again!