landscape material : better transition between layers ?

Hello everybody !
I have a terrain with a landscape material. But I’m not happy with the transition between layers…

ue_cook_error.txt (17.8 KB)

I assume that the layer system use something like vertex painting. That’s why I have the square’ish draw by the border of my layers.
Is there a way to have more precise transitions ?
Maybe in the material can I make something to alter the “alpha of the layer” ?
Can I use tessellation to increase the number of vertex in my terrain asset ? (I don’t think it will help… this is inside the material, not the layer.)
Or can I change the “resolution” of the terrain ?

I’ll follow any lead :slight_smile:
Thanks for your time and ideas ^^

You would need to increase your vertices/meter. Typically, you’ll work with a 1:1 scale where you have one vertex per 100 units. Other than that, there isn’t a whole lot you can do about it. Your example is a type of worst case scenario where you’re blending two very highly contrasting materials together. You’re probably better off keeping the dominant material above 75 or 80% opacity; to prevent that bad blending in overlap areas.

you can also blend your layers with a height texture, using the height blend feature (look at the docs)

Heightmap blending sounds like your desire.

Yeah if you’re looking to get rid of the squarish artifacts: use more vertices, if you’re looking for a better blend, use HM blending. I completely forgot to mention HM blending before because I didn’t see the “Maybe in the material can I make something to alter the “alpha of the layer”” part of your post.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/Materials/
LB_HeightBlend.jpg

Youhou !

This looks like exactly what I want…
I never look at height blending method because I though it was stricly linked to the “height of mountain” and I need to blend layers on the same plane.
But I’ll look at this very closely :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the tip ^^.