Landscape Layers from TerreSculptor

Shmello!

Since you can export layers from terresculptor and in UDK, getting the layers to work was part of the importing process. I can’t find anything on using these layers in UE4. Is it possible? if so, how?

Go into the landscape tool: Just assign a material to your landscape tool -> then go to import file -> there you can add the layers from terresculptor -> create landscape

I only have one layer (Shouldn’t I have three?) and it’s not named.

This is my Material

This is what it shows when I apply my material

You have to type in a name for all the different weight nodes -> e.g the 1st one grass, 2nd sand and 3rd dirt

Now the three textures are not fallowing the layer maps, their jut combined and really small.

How did you export the layers from TerreSculptor?

Have a look here for importing: https://wiki.unrealengine/Using_Weightmaps_to_texture_a_Landscape

I fallowed a tutorial on YouTube. But your tut worked and the other guys didn’t. Thanks though.
(Sorry about the late reply my Internet has been down)

Just wondering. I was thinking about using terresculptor but when I found out it can’t export ‘tiled’ terrains I decided to not use it actively given my project will have very large worlds, but currrently as a free alpha tool, terresculptor is a wonderful and appreciated offering from the author and I may use it for single terrains.

Just wondering, what tut on youtube were you using that didn’t work, as knowng this may save someone else some grief.

As a alternative to expensive apps, I am also considering the use of L3Dt, any thoughts on that app anyone ?

Ty for posting :wink: and good luck!
nl

It would be nice to have a sticky thread (maybe there already is one) pointing out all the landscaping tools out there and the pros and cons of each one, along with the pipelines into UE4 and the cost and licencing information.

I’m doing some landscaping now, and using the UE4 tool and not sure if I should be doing it elsewhere. Using a large-ish sort of map and it gets pretty slow at times and feel like I am reaching limits(probably memory) and I haven’t finished texturing or added a single tree yet.

Yes if you’re computer barely meets minimums or doesn’t meet them, then that would explain your slowdowns. UE4 has a new LOD system as feature page notes, so I’m a tad surprised you are seeing such issues. What size terrain did you choose to create, the largest one ?

I’m pretty sure the default terrain system does not use paging, meaning terrain segmengts aren’t swaping in and out as player moves, thereby alieving you’re rig from performance problems, so to remedy that you should be using the new landscape mode tool which does enable ‘tiled’ terrains which would make a big difference most likely , though Ive not tested it yet as I couldn’t use world machine to test tiled terrain import and use as I can’t afford the pro VERSION which is very closely for me.

Terresculptor alpha version willl not export tiiled terrains, and Im not sure what the authors plans are, so all that leaves is L3DT which I think ? exports tiled terrain and is free to use for personal or commercial purposes, yet is limited ( if you see it as a limitation) to I believe, 2048x2048 sized terrains.

I am not positive l3dt supports tied terrains, but it seems to me it does, I"ll check to be sure and update this thread. At the this time therefore, L3DT is easily ( If im right about tiled support and even if not) the best option for budget conscious individuals here, including myself :wink:

There are other tools that handle tiled worlds I think, but I don’t have info about them offhand, I’ll try to find it.

Good luck all, this is certainly a challenging aspect to our world creation, but very doable once you get the hang of it.

One last thing that would be valuable for those who haven’t made such worlds, are a set of pictures for creating the LONger VERSION of making a world material in UE4 ( for splatmats , in use for imported terrain) vs the shorter method which is MUCH easier, but which reportedly anyway, offers less visual fidelity. As time goes if no one has, I’ll try to make this happen.

Cheers
nl

At