Kinect SDK for Windows 8

I’m using Windows 8 for my Kinect 2 and after it says “download successful”, I check the “device manager” and it’s no where to be found. Also, after I plug it in, it keeps saying “device not recognized”. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

BKD Productions, LLC,

K4U allows you to use the Kinect 2 motion sensor. It can only be ran with Windows 8 and you’ll need to donwload the Kinect SDK 2.0 plugin. Please make sure that you followed all of the instructions found [here][1].

Thanks!

Kinect 4 Unreal Introduction in Blueprints - UE Marketplace

Hi !

Thank you so much for your response! I will try this out when I get to my PC. I hope you have an AWESOME New Year! Thanks again!

Cheers,

K. Dade

You’re very welcome. Please let me know if you run into any complications.

Thanks!

Hey ,

I have a question for you and I hope that I can explain it correctly. I’m using Windows 7 for the majority of my work in UE4. But as I stated in our prior correspondence, I have a separate laptop running Windows 8 so I can begin working with my Kinect 2.0. I noticed that in order to use the Kinect 2 correctly, my PC needs to have either a USB 3 and or a eSATA plugin. My Windows 8 does NOT have the eSATA, but my Windows 7 does (which I obviously have to have Windows 8 to start developing more impressive and easier use of body movements and facial recognition). Should I just get the 3.0 attachment that plugs into the 2.0 USB on my Windows 8 laptop, which is only about $6-$7 and do my Kinect development that way? I just like using Windows 7 and really dislike Windows 8 and 8.1. Now there’s Windows 10, but I don’t know enough about it to get it, in fear that I would be moving backwards as to what I’m doing currently. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much in advance!

I would suggest speaking with OpaqueMultimedia to see if that would interfere. Windows 10 to me, is easier to use than Windows 8, but that may not be what you’re referring to.

Good luck!

Actually, I sent a message to another gentlemen asking if he thought Windows 10 would be a good upgrade from Windows 7 on my main Intel i5 laptop that I work on mostly. Haven’t heard back yet, but I trust your response. Windows 8/ 8.1 was a nightmare for me and a lot (from what I’ve read) of other people, in general. I’m trying my best to see what’s the best avenue to take, because I need to get this Kinect 2 hooked up correctly ASAP and in Unreal it says Windows 8 as far as using the Kinect goes. I guess I’m also waiting to see if Unreal will have some sort of update or something where it states that Windows 10 is now compatible when using and developing with Kinect 2. Sorry for rambling, but any and all feedback is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Actually, I sent a message to another gentlemen asking if he thought Windows 10 would be a good upgrade from Windows 7 on my main Intel i5 laptop that I work on mostly. Haven’t heard back yet, but I trust your response. Windows 8/ 8.1 was a nightmare for me and a lot (from what I’ve read) of other people, in general. I’m trying my best to see what’s the best avenue to take, because I need to get this Kinect 2 hooked up correctly ASAP and in Unreal it says Windows 8 as far as using the Kinect goes. I guess I’m also waiting to see if Unreal will have some sort of update or something where it states that Windows 10 is now compatible when using and developing with Kinect 2. Sorry for rambling, but any and all feedback is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Hi ,

One thing I’m not quite sure about is when the instructions for the Kinect say to “Drop the K4U Plugin inside the Plugin folder inside the project”. Can you give me a step-by-step on how to do this by ? I just don’t really understand the wording, I guess, on what it is saying or how exactly I am to do that.

Thanks again !

Good morning !

Just wanted to check to see if you had any feedback on the above aforementioned.

Thanks!

Good afternoon BKD,

What is meant by ‘Drop the K4U Plugin inside the Plugin folder inside of the project’ means that you need to: take the K4U Plugin, highlight it and then drag and drop it into the Plugin folder that is embedded within your project folder.

Example:
Engine plugin | /UE4 root/Engine/Plugins/My Engine Plugin/
Game plugin | /My project/Plugins/My Game Plugin/

[Plugin Documentation][1]

Thanks!

Plugins in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Good evening ,

I am sorry again for my late reply. Thank you so INCREDIBLY much for your response and also for the link to the actual documentation for the answer(s) I am seeking on this matter! I just get a bit confused on some of the different instructions from various developing commentators, but you are always on point! I will also do my best to keep in mind about the “documentation” portion in the “docs” part of the UE website.

I’m going to get a fresh start in the morning, go through your instructions and do my best to finally tackle setting up and getting the Kinect 2 up and running correctly and get the body/ facial recognition things in order.

Thank you SO MUCH again and I truly DO appreciate your wealth of knowledge, help and patience (just to name a few) with me! Have a splendid evening and I hope to be in touch!

Thanks again!

You’re very welcome. I wish you the best of luck with getting this all set up and working accordingly. Please submit a new AnswerHub question if you have any additional questions for us to assist with.

Have a great one!! :slight_smile:

Hi ,

There’s still something I’m doing wrong:(. I think I more than likely still did not setup the Plugin stuff correctly. What I have:

1.) Under LIBRARY then under ENGINE VERSIONS, I have the 4.10.2 and the link under it that says INSTALLED PLUGINS.

2.) When I click on INSTALLED PLUGINS, it shows that I have the SUBSTANCE PLUGIN and that’s it.

3.) Under MY PROJECTS, I choose the KINECT4UNREALINTRODUCTION and I have multiple errors that come up in a separate window.

I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing incorrectly.

Thanks!

Happy Friday BKD Productions,

If you look at your Epic Games > 4.10 > Engine > Plugins folder, you’ll see that there are many plugins installed into the engine. If you click on Plugins > Marketplace, you’ll see that Substance is included. Plugins installed into the engine from Marketplace are going to show up under ‘Installed Plugins’ as well as the Marketplace folder.

Looking closer at what you’re talking about, Kinect 4 Unreal Introduction isn’t a plugin, but it needs the Kinect SDK 2.0 plugin from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44561 to be installed. But all you should need to do is go to Marketplace and type in ‘Kinect 4 Unreal’ and then it’ll say ‘create project’. Once you’ve created a project, after the SDK is installed, it should work accordingly.

Now, if you have errors popping up from loading your project, I will need to see the full error log and/or any error prompt pictures to be able to assist you further.

Thanks!

In the Marketplace, it has the introduction and the K4U Example Levels that’s $49.99 - that’s all I see at least. Here is the screenshot that I’m confused on where to go:

Oh! I just re-installed the K4U SDK too.

The Kinect 4 Unreal Introduction that’s in the Marketplace isn’t a plugin. It needs a plugin to work, but it’s made to be added into a project. You’re correct, it does cost $49.99. Were you not talking about this Marketplace Content?

Is the K4U SDK added into the plugins folder? (Epic Games > 4.10 > Engine > Plugins folder)

Hi ,

Like in my above image, if I understand correctly, if I click the “INSTALLED PLUGINS” link under 4.10.2 under ENGINE VERSIONS, I only have the SUBSTANCE PLUGIN installed. When you ask “Is the K4U SDK added into the plugins folder (Epic Games > 4.10 > Engine > Plugins folder), I’m still not 100% sure I understand what the exact process is on how to do this correctly before I purchase the K4U Plugin. I know you mentioned something about “DRAG and DROP” it in a folder, I’m just still a bit confused. Is there maybe a video tutorial I could watch or speak with you or someone, because I’m a visual and auditory type of learner, for the most part. Also, what is the purpose of the"K4U INTRODUCTION” just so I understand correctly?

Hi ,

Just wanted to check and see if you had received my message I sent to you about a day ago.

Thanks,