Kinect SDK for Windows 8

If you want to add a [Plugin][1] to the engine, I would suggest looking over the documentation linked earlier. Plugins are always located in your plugin directory. In order for plugins to be found, they must be located in one of the valid search paths for plugins in UE4:

• Engine plugin: /UE4 root/Engine/Plugins/My Engine Plugin/
  • Game plugin: /My project/Plugins/My Game Plugin/

So for example, if you downloaded or created a project, you’d want to do the following:

1. Copy the plugin folder to: UE4/Engine/Plugins/Your Plugin Folder/
  2. Copy the content folder to: YourProjectFolder/Content
  3. Start UE4, then click on Windows > Plugins and you should be able to enable your new plugin.

Here is an example, with a link at the bottom: [A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums][2]

Thanks!

Plugins in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
[2]: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

Thanks for the response ! So these: Engine plugin: /UE4 root/Engine/Plugins/My Engine Plugin/

Game plugin: /My project/Plugins/My Game Plugin/ are actually in the UE4 Engine itself and not in a folder actually on my PC, right? Then I just continue from there, but make sure I purchase the K4U and download the stuff from Opaque first? Is that right? Sorry for all of the questions.

Remember that Kinect 4 Unreal Introduction will only run on Windows 8 and it requires a free download of the Kinect SDK 2.0 plugin: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44561. Once you’ve downloaded that, you’ll be good to go with adding the content to your project.

Okay. Thanks for the info! I was told by another person on here and opaque as well that it works on Windows 8 and up, which is why I went ahead and updated my PC laptop to Windows 10. I’m also going through the other information you previously sent me that has a plethora of helpful information. So basically, I believe I’m going to go ahead and purchase the K4U Example Levels so I can get started with that and I have the K4U Intro already, which I’m guessing is just a guide, so to speak.

Good luck!! If you run into any additional complications, submit a new AnswerHub and we’ll assist you further. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much ! I haven’t gotten it working as of yet simply because of some other tasks I’m working on at the same time. I indeed plan on doing my best to restart on it again at some point between Friday and Saturday. I “think” that the only major thing I need to finish setup-wise, is purchasing the K4U that’s $49.99 and go from there. And just to be clear again, the K4U Introduction is strictly just for documentation purposes and not actually some sort of “attachment” for the K4U Example (paid for) plugin, right? I’ll just go through the stuff that you’ve given me and reach out if I have any questions, LOL! Thanks again !

Kinect 4 Unreal Introduction allows you to create a project. The project will include samples in it, like Content Examples does that helps you learn how to use these options within your project.

Thanks for the reply ! So does that mean the K4U Intro will allow me to practice (basically) with my Kinect 2 sensor and after I familiarize myself a bit more with it, then I need to go ahead and purchase the K4U that’s $49.99 from the Marketplace to start developing my own game? Or do I need both of them together now to get the full benefits from the K4U? In essence, are they both needed to make my working project in the development phase or are they two completely separate things all together?

You do not need both of them. Please read the description provided within the Marketplace before purchasing or obtaining any of them.

As far as I am aware, the introduction is simply a tutorial so to speak on how to use these functions. The other K4U that’s available is $49.99 and they’re all example levels. This one is more indepth.

But long story short, the free introduction one should get you at least practicing for now.

AWESOME! Thank you SO much for helping me (and dealing with my gazillion questions) and I TRULY DO appreciate all of the help you have given me! Thanks for your patience and your in-depth detail on how things work in UE4 as a whole! Until next time, for now, I believe this matter is SOLVED! KUDOS !

You’re welcome!! Enjoy your weekend! :smiley:

Yes ma’am, indeed! You do the same and THANKS AGAIN!