keeping substance triplanar textures triplanar in ue4

[FONT=sans-serif]I have an issue whereby I bake my textures in substance painter (triplanar not UV projection) and bake and export them looking how I want…

[FONT=sans-serif]Then I import the ue4 packed textures disable the RGB tick box for roughMetallicOcclusion and create my material from them.

[FONT=sans-serif]When I apply to my imported mesh geo (the one that looks good in substance painter) the scale and position is wrong. This is not a seams triplanar related issue but just not being in correct position and scale as in substance painter! I assumed like UV projected textures this would work outside the box but suspect I need to re-affirm the world position in ue4 somehow…

[FONT=sans-serif]So…

[FONT=sans-serif]I’ve tried converting my texture samples to texture object nodes and using worldaligned texture nodes to try and get the correct scale by adding a constant 1 to try and scale the texture size in the world aligned node but cannot get it to look right just eyeballing and tweaking the size value. Probably the position is off too…

[FONT=sans-serif]Is there something simple I am missing here? How can I get a triplanar based substance painter texture bake to look the same in ue4 WITHOUT trying to replicate scale and position in ue4?

[FONT=sans-serif]some images to show what i mean…

[FONT=sans-serif]standard ue4 packed texture export gives the inner panel a tiling…

[FONT=sans-serif]and no matter how i try with worldalignedtexture and scaling it I cant get the same result. I start getting something recognisable to my substance painter bake but nothing near enough with blocky artifacts etc.

[FONT=sans-serif]Surely im missing something and this attempt at matching the original scale and position isnt necessary…

[FONT=sans-serif]thanks

I’m quite a beginner in UE, but what I’ve seen all over regarding converting from one space to another is that materials are applied in tangent space by default. To get them to render in another space (World, Local, etc), use this:

The WorldAligned node may work in concert with it better than WorldAligned by itself. There’s a video on YouTube on how to do something at least similar to what you’re doing. If it’s not the exact same, I’m sorry for pointing you in that direction.

thanks for the idea although im even newer to this side of UE4 and I was looking for a less complex solution;)
hard to believe that baked textures in Substance Painter would require so much tweaking…

EDIT: having re-exported the mesh from Substance painter and tried again the mapping is good;) my bad!

thanks

Interesting. Well, at least it works. It’s nice to know what was wrong and how to fix it, but sometimes it’s best to leave it until it happens again, if it happens again.