Jump Animation Issue

OK so I saw a similar question asked but it wasn’t answered. I am trying to delay the action of the char jumping till a certain point in the animation. the animation crotches down before jumping and leaving the ground. Currently the char leaves the ground and the animation plays how do i play the animation and after a delay move the char?

240878-jumpbase.png

the JUMP node in the first picture handles the logic for the character movement jump. IT does not care about any animation.

My approach to this was to disconnect the jump nodes from the “jump input action”

the “Jump input action” i connected to an “anim montage” that performs the jump animation.

In the anim montage, i put an ANIM NOTIFY at the exact point in the animation where the character jumps.

the ANIM NOTIFY then calls out the actual JUMP node (the one that handles the actual movement- the one originally was plugged in the to Input action jump_

Thanks for the response!
So I did some looking into anim montages and came across a video on animation notifiers, so i solved this by adding a var called jump_1 in my char blueprint and adding a custom notifier in the animation at the point where the character actually leaves the ground. Then call that notifier and set jump_1 to true. Then in my jump function when the button is pressed it plays the animation. At a branch it checks for jump_1 to be true if it is it then moves the character. The pictures should give you a better idea of what I did.

Ok so i didn’t realize it but this breaks after the jump is complete it doesn’t go back to idle or allow other animations to play. Anyone know what I’m missing

Ah yes this is the fix it works now although now i need to smooth it from jump back to idle also i need to adjust how high the jump is.

You should probably call an event on the character to execute the jump node rather than setting a variable to true, and how does Jump1 go back to false ? I suggest you create a custom event on the characterBP and call it from the notify this way even if the jump animation is long the character will be asked to jump eventually, I don’t think the Play Animation node waits for the animation to finish you immediately check for the variable value while animation has just started.

The characterMovement component should have a jump Z velocity

In your locomotion select the transition between Idle and jump and set the interpolation speed by default it’s 0.2

The animation shouldn’t affect the jump velocity, I’m not sure if Stop Jump cancels out your jump, so try disconnecting that and see.

Thank you. for some reason changing the velocity doesn’t make the character jump higher. I tried a different animation and it worked fine i suppose something about the animation was broken?

Okay I have SCOURED the internet to find a solution. This has literally taken me at least 12 hours of research alone but I finally figured it out. I by no means know what I am doing this is my first project in UE4 but I have something that works every time. Below are my blueprints! Notifies are definitely the way to go.