July #UE4JAM, July 23-26th, Theme: ROCKET AND ROLL

haha, really cool :smiley:

Awesome ! Made me smile the whole time! :smiley:

So tempted

Great excuse to read up on vectors and make the physics go crazy. Now my head is spinning and the race to figure out whatā€™s up before the deadline is on.

Just wanted to add to the ā€œfrom scratchā€-discussion that sure itā€™s probably better the more you can custom make butā€¦ that goldmine of assets in the example games seems too good to pass up. Either as temporary placeholders or to fill in stuff that should be in the game but you wonā€™t have time to make yourself.

This guy right here

Getting my rocket on! :smiley:

These look pretty sweet!

Ho ho yeah! This is going to be funā€¦

Maybe Iā€™ll try to squeeze a game out this weekend myself :smiley:

So stuck right now. Trying to work collaboratively in a fairly simple ( like only just off being stock starter project ) game and have set up stuff using dropbox and link shell symlinks ( as described in a youtube vid i found ) And just continuosly having sync issues.

issue at the moment is TwinStickExampleMap.umap cannot sync (permission denied). We have decided from our various attempts at getting past this that the only sure fire way to clear the error is to close the edditor on the machine having the sync issue reported. It then syncs, and I can oipen my editor and the file has updated.

Iā€™m currently looking through perforce/P4 and have ascertained that the key feature which must be the drawcard for game designers is the ā€œcheckout exclusiveā€ feature of the version scontrol system, a feature that iir was available back in 2000 with visual source safe.

Iā€™ve asked this already, but there was no answer, hopefully someone with some deep wisdom can tell me what the best way to work collaboratively across internet is, so that we can both have the project open and up to date/realtime without running into issues like this. I must presume that someone knows this little nugget of information, I refuse to believe that else in this jam is working on an island and doesnt have this issue. Iā€™ve even considered looking at using a vpn or something and relying on windows native file locking.

Cheers peeps.

dave

Since we have constant editor crashes with Source Control within the editor weā€™ve resorted to just using TortoiseSVN in the file browser for syncing.

Hello.

#UE4JAM-html5-Rest House game development

stream just started at.
http://www.twitch.tv/kachanac

good luck to allā€¦

https://www.youtube.com/ruzhichka
play games for free at
http://katanec.itch.io/
more at:
http://www.markokacanski.com

Update:
My motorcycle was drivable for a bit also in multiplayer. Nowā€¦ wellā€¦ after starting to figure out how to integrate a very basic online server browser pretty much everything is broken. What I did was to rip the online guts from it and it finally got the clients on the same server by using steam but, I donā€™t know maybe it works on different accounts but running two instances of the game on my machine and one steam client only works with the -nosteam launch parameter. Once I have added the very basics of a proper gamemode Iā€™ll probably try to get a live playtest going. To enter check out my twitch http://www.twitch.tv/atsest (turns out I actually kinda enjoyed streaming yesterday).

Edit If any of you are doing some sort of movement replication for custom pawns (if in blueprint that would be like a 10 times better as well) then please share the insight.

man I am totally Unity dependent. But Iā€™m learning! Got some stuff imported and moving with the flying template!

Red 5 standing by!

Thatā€™s looking great so far!

Iā€™m done as well. Spent the first 24 hours writing the game, the next 24 hour polishing it and short of fixing the stupid destructible mesh bug I think itā€™s working well. My kids enjoy playing it, thatā€™s a great start as they are hard to please. Let me know what you think!

Written in 100% Blueprints. Should have support for a controller, but I didnā€™t have mine handy during development. Oh, and this is my first game jam. Yeah me! :slight_smile:

See the included License.txt file for licensing information.

==========

VIDEO PREVIEW:

BUGS:

• There is a bug (I posted about this in the Blueprint forums) that when the wall is exploding you can accidentally shoot the pieces of the explosion even though I have disabled collision on the mesh. I have no idea on how to solve this issue, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Edit: Apparently this is a known engine bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. See my forum post about it here:

Edit: I found a way to work around this bug and Iā€™ve uploaded a new version (as well as updated the gameplay footage above). If you arenā€™t running v0.1.1 or newer, then please make sure you update.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL:

• The explosion effect was partly based on the movie Inception (I think itā€™s a pretty cool effect).

• Each destructible wall section shatters into 100 pieces and there can be up to 5 wall sections per ā€œwallā€ totally 500 shattering pieces of geometry at one time. (Hint: You need a fairly modern computer to run this at any decent speed).

• The entire game was coded by me (one person), from scratch (no existing blueprints or projects used), all code was written within 48 hours after the game jam was announced.

• Your character gradually increases in speed over time, itā€™s subtle but by the time you reach 30,000+ it starts to be a little more noticeable.

• The rocket launcher has a very subtle firing animation, and a not so subtle reload animation coded 100% in blueprints.

• You can have a maximum of 3 rockets in your ā€œclipā€, and 12 rockets on your ā€œpersonā€ for a total of 15 total shots before being completely out of ammo.

• The ammo you pickup in the level adds 3 rockets to your ā€œpersonā€ up to a maximum of 12.

• Yes, the ball is from the UE4 rolling ball starter project.

• Your character CAN get outside of the corridor, and didnā€™t used to die when falling - Iā€™ve added something that should kill you, but havenā€™t been able to test it. Feel free to let me know if you succeed (youā€™ll know because youā€™ll fall forever if I didnā€™t fix the bug).

• Your highscore is saved locally. I wanted to implement a global highscore board, but ended up having other real-life tasks that needed to be completed.

• There are 9 different types of blockers that randomly spawn (well, 8 plus an empty corridor).

• Each wall section that you destroy is worth 100 points. There can be up to 5 wall sections per wall.

• My current highscore is 82,938 to give you something to shoot forā€¦ I havenā€™t spent alot of time trying to beat it.

• The game level is procedural generated so it can theoretically go on foreverā€¦

• The game resets itā€™s location in the world back to 0, 0, 0 when you die.

• You arenā€™t really an alien from another planetā€¦

Team Name:
List of Team Members:
Name of submission:

Download link: https://.google.com/file/d/0B8fNV64yY26bT0stcmRvdjAyQTg/view?usp=sharing

Blow up your friend with local split screen all while raving away!

The goal is just to destroy your opponentā€™s ship without hitting asteroids or hitting the ā€˜skyboxā€™ lol

Controls:
Keyboard
-Enter
PS4
-Left Stick Movement
-R2 Shoot
-X Speed Up
-O Slow Down

Xbox
-Left Stick Movement
-Right Trigger Shoot
-A Speed Up
-B Slow Down

Side Notes:
Turning in early because I am taking the gf on a trip.
Let me just say this is my first game I have EVER made EVER. Itā€™s not that good of a ā€˜gameā€™ but I wanted to turn something in and participate this month. There was more I wanted to add but with my limited blueprint knowledge itā€™s the best I can do so itā€™s stupid simple. I will participate again next month and be practicing in the meantime with the engine and to be able to implement more creative ideas and a much more polished game.

Credits:
Star texture was a royalty free stock photo made by CobaltTheDragon
Character ship was downloaded for free and made by Dennish2010 (creative commons)
Music daPlaque by Argofox Creative Commons (creative commons)

https://doc-14-c4-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/uvqcla8ct73hfnnmjll3f5d4vkkcmd0m/h5ue4ivjvgnphs0s0ic2tvp4c54gk60c/1437883200000/08147475367204197743/08147475367204197743/0B8fNV64yY26bdTZIU2ZSRG5YRms?e=view

Sarturday progress, server browser is still there, but I still have some mechanics in addition to win conditions and round setup to do. Before I can even dream of doing the visuals :0

Hey if anyone wants to follow along, we just got started, because weā€™re crazy! This game jam will be a 24 hour explosive bonanza! twitch.tv/freshlemonade_

Graeme