JBaldwin - UE4 Content Preview Thread

Same here : ) Waiting for more!

is so frickin ā€¦ I love you guys :smiley:

@ufna yaay sources!! Iā€™m sure I will learn a lot from :slight_smile: thanks a ton!

I canā€™t wait to show some of the progress I have made with the sailing simulator thingy Iā€™m making. :o

Glad everyone is enjoying it :slight_smile:
@ufna - I know we had talked yesterday about how bad Gerstner waves are for performance, but I decided (Since I already Started) I would finish it up and share it with everyone.
The equations are practically the same accept for a few small things. (If I remember right) - I changed from multiplying the amplitude by (x,y) to dotting it. I also fixed the Ī¦ addition. The direction is giving me issues so I am having to look into that.

After I get everything working, I need to compile it into a scale-friendly format. Currently, has about 50 parameters that all need to be modified. I am going to try to make a shader that allows you to go from a value of 0 - 1 which will model the ocean from calm seas to rough ocean swells.

Update:
Solved Animated Wave (Wind Direction)

allows for ocean waves to continue their behavior but their orientation can be modified.

Here is a picture for anyone interested.

bump - For anyone interested in the wind direction (Shown Above)^

Interesting, so that allows you to rotate the wind direction without getting really odd updates in the shader? Usually that makes it look like everything pans around some invisible/far away axis, so your only choice is to have no change in the wind direction.

Correct, will solve that. You just need to be careful you donā€™t implement it into the wrong part of the equation. If you re-produce the function as shown above, you will see the wind direction constantly update while the waves continue along their path with no warping or distortion.

I was going to add more images but it seems I have uploaded 5 and that is the maximum? Wow that would stink if so >.<
Apparently there was some sort of ā€œDatabase Errorā€

You can use an image hosting site (like tinypic.com for example), no limits that way.

Thank you .
Yea, I guess I will do that. I just hate referencing images because if the link on ā€œthatā€ site ever gets damaged, then the forum no longer shows it. (Thatā€™s why I like uploading to the forum directly) :slight_smile:

@ - Here is an example of a huge set of ocean grids and the function applied to them. You can see there is no distortion or odd ā€œpolarā€ .

You can also upload them in the wiki :wink:

Youā€™re welcome :wink:

btw I saw a nice commit at github yesterday. It means weā€™ll be able to implement transparency soon :slight_smile:

! I really canā€™t wait for that. I also saw your request on Post Process addition ufna, very good call!
I still need to learn quite a bit when it comes to the technical side of oceans and rendering.

Gamma + Infrared \m/ OH YEA!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Update:
Small Choppy Ocean
Hurricane Swells
Fast Ocean Swell Sets

Manā€¦I cant say how amazing project looks! Looking forward to see more progress and try out some things by myself :smiley:

Keep up the good work! Very, very cool :slight_smile:

Looks fantastic! Well done!

That is math right there. :slight_smile:

Yes Trigonometry.

@ good jab someone is pushing you to the right Direction? :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking great! I donā€™t know about you but I feel like going for a swim now :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks everyone. I am currently building in static switch parameters for each parameter (Time Consuming :frowning: ). I am also building a blend system. You can use the one I am creating, (Or define your own) ocean stages.
It works like :

• Shader mode ā€œLocated In Material Instanceā€ = Ocean System or Manual Mode

• Ocean System - Uses 2 sets of data preset in the shader to blend from small choppy waves to hurricane swells. (All controlled by simply changing one parameter) (Easiest)
    • Manual Mode - Exposes all parameters for complete control (Hardest)

shader allows for multiple Shaders to be created
It works like :
The demo Shader I am creating is geared towards storms. Both the Ocean System Data Sets and Manual Parameters have been set in the Shader to act as a ā€œStorm Shaderā€
Simply duplicate the Shader, and input data for whatever ocean system you want. Then create material instances off of that new shader. will allow you to have multiple ocean system ( Shaders)
For Example:

• Storm System ( Shader + MICs) --ā€œMICsā€ = Material Instance Constant*
  • Calm System ( Shader + MICs)
  • Shallow Water System ( Shader + MICs)
  • Deep Calm Water System ( Shader + MICs)

And Much More :slight_smile: