JBaldwin - UE4 Content Preview Thread

Very good job so far

Atta boy ā€¦ looking goodā€¦ nice to see ya back in the mix.

Shawn

Finallyā€¦ I have converted all the math lol. Time to write up the e-article :slight_smile:

In addition to the features I posted a bit earlier, I have added a global influence parameter which will allow you to blend between many ocean states, and then change the scale and animation all by simply inputting a value.
Here is a pic of the Shader.

PS. ** shader only includes math, no other ocean attributes have been built**
PS.S. **@Shawn - As short as it might be, I am glad to lend a helping hand in any way I can, when I can :slight_smile: Good to ā€œseeā€ you again as well. Make sure to contact me on skype soon so we can chat and catch up!

Time to take a breakā€¦ have some coffee, and catch up on literature :slight_smile:
See ya guys later.

My brain hurts when i look at that shader.
I cant wait to see the final result!

@ā€¦ Will do manā€¦ its been too longā€¦ excellent work.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Tell me about it, here I was thinking some of my shaders were complex. =p

looks so convincingā€¦ Even more impressive that it looks so realistic before textures/lighting/reflections.

And here I took the cowardā€™s way out and just hid my ocean in a blanket of fog :wink:

Canā€™t wait to see how progresses - do you plan to sell on UEā€™s asset store?

That ocean shader looks really freakinā€™ cool! work!

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:
I am beginning to capture everything and take pictures of each element to post in a PDF tutorial.

That will be great ! Thanks.

As usual a fantastic job !

The grid must flow! Honestly, that was beautiful, even in wireframe. Keep it up!

:D!

Looking really good!

Looking at that math on your first page, is that P=position, B=binormal, T=tangent, N= normal? Are you using that to calculate the vertex normal differences so that the waves will be lit as they move? If so that can get pretty expensive to update per pixel. I would recommend passing that information using CustomUVs which would let you update the normals using the vertex shader which is cheaper (less verts than pixels onscreen in most cases).

Hey Ryan,
I actually didnā€™t attempt to make a lit model (Build the lighting properties). I also havenā€™t attempted to build the fresnel off of the waves. I was most likely going to just release it as it is for the moment. (Allowing people to build extra parameters as needed).
However, if you see something very problematic, please correct me, I want to be as accurate and helpful when posting to the community. :slight_smile:

Edit: Thanks for the feedback as well! Will definitely keep in mind when I expand it!

I canā€™t see much of anything in the shader yet, let alone point out things that might be problematic :slight_smile:

I can only offer the advice that for a shader with motion beautiful, it would be a shame not to update the lighting and see the full effect of the wave impacting the normals and specular response.

If you wanted to try to update the normals it should not be too difficult. You should only need to solve that one N equation from that early math you posted. That should give you the Normal vector for each position which would be the vertex normals.

Then you could derive the binormal and tangent by using the material function ā€œCreateThirdOrthogonalVectorā€ using 0,0,1 as vector 2. That is if you wanted to use them, which you might want for something. Like if you wanted to get super-correct and also transform a normal map texture into the wave-space.

If someone were to apply some cool water textures to math and account for all the nice stuff like depth and wave/water properties Iā€™d buy it in a heartbeat.

Not to ruin the spirit of open source or anything, Iā€™d love to get my hands on it for free too, but is something Iā€™d certainly pay for :slight_smile:

Nice!

For shading, have you seen thread? https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?679-UE4-Water-Shader

Really Amazing work! If you would put it on the marketplace when its finished (with shaders and stuff maybe), I would buy it without hesitating!