JANUARY GAME JAM: Theme: BACK TO SQUARE ONE

Literal representations are more allowed - However anyone interprets the theme is cool with us!

Working on it!

I’m gonna get some rest tho.

Sadly I can’t think in a small enough scope to have a usable idea. Somehow “start game with arrested character covered in blood then go play through his entire day backwards to the tragedy that started it all” sounds like a little too much work for three days heh.

That is true, for instance we were considering time elements but all in all its tricky to ignore the square since it makes up 1/4 of the overall if we include to but really, back to is one part on its own. The thing is this colloquialism has obvious ties to gaming history in that it can be traced to board games (namely snakes [chutes] and ladders) and hopscotch both which are largely about squares.

One thing I missed about whats inside the box for instance was that it could be interpreted as a christmas theme but its been a long time since I had any boxes under the tree, digital gifts are more common as well as having friends and family globally. Im sure Epic considered this interpretation themselves and actually expected it which is why it was chosen for December in particular.

Im guessing that this has something to do with perhaps schooling and the new year, it really depends on how much weight you put on an occasion though as these holiday themes are very personal.

I think what Im saying is that it would be nice to have a less specific field of view and more in regards to the interpretation, games are ofcoarse art forms too so I do think we need to look less literally but does that mean I should do something involving pi because this says square? That wouldnt make alot of sense would it!?

We considered things like starting at the end of the game and working forward or being shunted back to the start but both of those are quite literal interpretations, Im just finding it extremely difficult not to take this literally.

That does sound like a fun idea though!

I wouldn’t particularly see starting at the end of the game and rewinding as a literal interpretation (as such would be more of the colloquial interpretation). But I hadn’t initially considered ideas of school and new year. There is a lot that can be drawn from ideas of growth and renewal. You could even fit a survival aspect into this theme along the lines of someone getting fed up with society and “going back to square one” by heading out to a forest and you do the ol’ “Don’t Starve” harvesting and building to reach a climax of appreciating a simple life without modern conveniences. Its really about abstractly looking at the many ways in which you can draw gameplay elements from a single source. But I can’t personally think of any way to involve Pi. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well my example of PI was just an interesting concept I might try to make a game around myself at some stage, with these ideas you and I have put forward none of them are particularly interesting (Im excluding the one commented on ;)) I really want to focus on new and interesting gameplay but I always end up falling into this rut of samey stuff, I think we largely got lucky last time as it all kind of clicked together but this time it just seems abrasive like we have to force things because any interesting time mechanic is out of the scope of a Jam with a few people. Timeline is there and there are plenty of engine features to exploit but its still very difficult to prototype things in the engine because there are barriers, some things are great and flow well but others you are constantly hitting brick walls and it can be frustrating especially with such limited time.

You end up limiting the scope of the game and thus the gameplay to the point it becomes less interesting, I certainly want to do something more original but so far its hard to break out of those molds and get “back to square one”.

think of catch 22 situations …no matter what,when,how you try you always go back to where you started

I’m going to be working with my friend on this!

Rebirth - Save the lost souls and conduct them to the rebirth; The reincarnation; BACK-TO-SQUARE-ONE!

PLEASE, READ THE TUTORIAL - DONT FORGET TO REALESE THE SOULS BY PRESSING C

Team Name:
Team Members: - Programming and Art | - Translator |
You can acess the tutorial at the Menu

Link:

Video:

ScreenShot

http://puu.sh/eCqvR/00b2918011.jpg

Question about the rules, because I’m not 100% even after reading through them a few times.
As a musician, am I ineligible to contribute to a project as a team member unless I’m a subscriber to UE4 as well?

You’re good to play, Xir0 :slight_smile:

Appreciate the quick response, and thanks for the clarification!

We are working on a game (2 person), but theres one more, who can do the texturing, however she has no active subscription yet. (Will get in a few days.) Can she enter as well?

Well I just managed to screw up our project, back to square one. ;p

A great lesson, to use version control :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi All

Team: Ayretek
Members: Ayretek
Game Name: CrazySquares
(game file name: AyretekSquareOne)

How to Play: You’ll figure it out!

Edit: I Thought about putting these warnings in the game earlier and dismissed the idea as I thought it might have been taken as a boast or advertising trick or something, but after watching play the game on his Awesome Twitch Stream last night, I decided to post these warnings:

Edit: This game uses visual/optical illusions as well as spatial displacement to play tricks on the eyes of the viewer.
Warning: could be potentially disorientating and may potentially cause nausea and other side effects!

WARNING: This video could potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. Viewer discretion is advised!

Link: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0BzKnAtkCk9VwX2xraC0tWWhVWXc

Good Luck to!

Team Name: Accel Games
Members: Mason, Gornel Bah, YT RhYmZ
Game Name: SketBoard
Song Url: Stream What The Hell Cypher Verse by YT RhYmZ | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Controls: WASD (Movement), Mouse (Camera), R (Restart), Space (Jump)
URL: https://.google.com/file/d/0BzxEGQBJqdh1WFBxQnRISDB5VEE/view?usp=sharing

**EDIT: **Here is a post-deadline bugfixed version, our submission version has a bug where the Join screen doesn’t disappear.
https://.google.com/open?id=0BzxEGQBJqdh1emFHNjFFU29JV0U&authuser=0
We are aware that this version may not be considered for the Jam, but if you want to play multiplayer please download the fixed version.

We are looking for a 2d concept artist for future game releases. If you know anyone who can do some nice 2d art or has strong drawing skills, get in contact with us at developers@accelgames.com Or just let us know what you think :slight_smile:

I don’t understand the deadline timer. What time do I follow ? I’m thinking it’s probably the blue box, but what the heck is the yellow box ? O_O ??!?!?