Jagged Shadows

I have tried a bunch of different proposed solutions for my jagged/ low-res shadows but none are satisfactory. Is there a console variable that controls the resolution of VSMs? Are these jagged shadows a result of them, or something else? Thanks.

Is the Shadows scalability set to Medium or below?

Is the asset very large in world scale?

Are you biasing the resolution at all with cvars?
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasDirectional
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasDirectionalMoving
r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasLocal

Hey Shaun, thanks for your speedy reply.

My mesh was too small.

Shadows scalability is Epic. Mesh was only 7 units tall.

When scaled by 100, my shadows looked good:

In a world where I wanted to have crisp shadows on a tiny object, what values can I tweak and what’re the performance implications? I know it’s best to work at an appropriate scale, but I’m sure there are some use cases where you’d want this shadow to be sharper regardless of scale.

Changing r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasDirectional from -1.5 to 4.0 softened the shadows’ jagged edges with basically no performance impact, but this isn’t quite the look I want.

If I wanted to increase the resolution of these shadows, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks again for the solution Shaun. Much appreciated.

You can try to lower r.Shadow.Virtual.Clipmap.FirstLevel.

That said finer levels will probably need more pages so you might have to increase r.Shadow.Virtual.MaxPhysicalPages. You can use r.Shadow.Virtual.ShowStats 1 to try and help you set to the proper resolution. Don’t just crank it. This will have an impact on memory/perf.

This is the exact cvar I wanted when I first noticed these shadows.

The images below show the differences between r.Shadow.Virtual.Clipmap.FirstLevel 1 and r.Shadow.Virtual.Clipmap.FirstLevel 6.

Thanks again Shaun. Hope this helps others with similar problems.