Download

Jagged Shadow?

Hi, I’m pretty new to Unreal Engine, I was playing around with the lighting in UE 5 and I noticed these Jagged shadows and I don’t know how to fix them. So far I’ve tried to increase the source radius and it didn’t seem to change anything. I suspect it might be caused by nanite triangulations but it’s producing the same shadows on non-nanite objects as well. Please help, thanks!

1 Like

Got the same problem. It only appears when virtual shadow maps are on. Hope someone can help!

This might be it:

Shadow Resolution

VSMs provide significantly increased resolution compared to conventional shadow maps, but shallow light angles (or projective aliasing) and very large local lights can exhaust the available virtual resolution. This can present itself as box-like shadows and bias issues depending on the geometry’s surface. Directional Light clipmaps are much less susceptible to running out of resolution, but very narrow camera fields-of-view can eventually exhaust those as well.

There is no simple solution to solving projective aliasing with shadow maps. Even with VSMs, some care must be taken to avoid the worst cases.

Increasing screen percentage does help with the shadows. But this is not a great solution.

How about “r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasDirectional”
Try Changing from -0.5 to lower value.
In my case it improved.

If you are using a local light, try using
“r.Shadow.Virtual.ResolutionLodBiasLocal”