I've tried it all. Still can't get nav mesh working in streamed sublevels.

I’ve read probably every forum post and reddit thread I could find on the subject, but I still cannot reliably get a static nav mesh working in streamed sublevels (I don’t want to use dynamic nav mesh as I’d like to save on that performance cost).

My Current Setup

Using latest 4.27. I am not using world composition. I simply have a persistent level which consists of no geometry, a sky sphere, a small dummy nav volume, a post process and that’s about it.

I have multiple sublevels that are organized similarly to an animal crossing game - a medium sized town sublevel and other little houses you can go in which are their own distinct sublevels as well. Each of these sublevels have their own nav volumes.

I have tried with and without the “Spawn Nav Data in Nav Bounds Level” setting in addition to the “Should Discard Sub Level Nav Data” and have “Auto Navigation Data” turned off. (All of these in the Navigation System section of Project Settings).

The Problem

The problem is being unable to have a nav mesh for each sublevel. It boils down to two different issues:

1. If I try to build one sublevel at a time, the navigation data erases all other data such that I can only have one sublevel’s nav mesh active at a time.

2. If I try to build all sublevels at the same time, geometry from visible sublevels will block nav meshes on other sublevels (where the geometry wouldn’t even be present).

Has anyone actually figured out a consistent way to do this yet? Seems like a lot of people shouting into the void, mostly unable to get this working.

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

Does nav mesh work in streaming levels? Have you seen it anywhere?
The nav mesh is generated at the persist level, that is where the NavMeshBoundsVolume is placed and you have to make all the levels visible.
But if you find a way let me know.

The navigation does work in certain levels but not all of them. Basically it sounds like I’ll have to organize my levels such that there is zero overlapping geometry and build all of the navigation from the persistent at once. That’s a little annoying since I have a master skybox system which will have to move around instead of staying at (0,0,0) but it seems like there’s just no other way to do it.

1 Like