Island water plane under terrain

Hello hello.

im using a water plane that is on a large island map. It is one big plane, and whilst it does indeed do a good job of putting water around the shore, it’s also of course under my entire terrain island. This is undesirable for me, is there a usual way to avoid this?

I believe he means that he has only 1 plane for the whole map’s water.

I would be interested in more performant and dynamic solutions myself.

So far I have create a Water Blueprint that has all the components and automates “snap top” on the creating script so it aligns any time i let go in editor.
that said, to get water on a vast map it takes about 40 to 50 instances and that’s less then ideal for memory… not to mention the seams that some times crop up.

Yes thats exactly what im referring to.

Is it typical to use many water planes for a huge map?

Ah yes indeed thats the one we have implemented. Its good for speed of implementation, however for my needs i might have to start thinking of something a bit different.

Any advices?

My solution was to simply export my terrain (1.3gb), and make a much bigger flat plane circle with many good uniform triangles. I then found where my terrain island was touching the circle, and removed everything from that outline inwards (padding about 10 meters). Got a good result.

Really should be more intuitive. What about people who are new to 3d? Would be a challenge to make a clean version.

Hi!
May be you didn’t notice in the manage terrain tool:

Deleting a landscape component does not remove the additional Plane that is added to create water.

@Shockky I don’t think that’s going to work for the post process and pysics volume.

At the same time, I think I agree that the standard physic volume for water kinda sucks when it comes to a lot of things… maybe it can be re-created in blueprint entirely to utilize the custom shape - though that’s a lot of extra work compared to the usual unreal drag n drop…

Actually just realized that you can actually change the brush type to have a customizable shape on the volume… So maybe it is possible to make a brush that you can then use to apply the volumes to the level with just 1 uniform mesh…

I had that thought too, have to give it a try this weekend