Is This Tutorial Still Relevant ?

Hey mates.

I was wondering if tutorial would still be some use for “advanced” part of the material system.

I can create basic materials but for more complicated things (transparent or more complicated shaders) I find myself really lacking.

So would be still use ?

Thanks mates.

I haven’t seen it myself, but I’d assume so. What you’re better off doing is reading the documentation and checking out the example content. You can learn even more for free that way and it’s easier to learn as you can start / stop whenever you like.

Most basic concepts are still valid, but is introduction for beginners afaik, not some complex stuff

Yeah I agree with the posts above on …

While the techniques are still relevant, it will be really confusing at first trying to convert the UDK materials to UE4. UE4 uses a “left to right” flow for the node graph, while UDK uses “right to left”. There are also differences in what you can do since UE4 has the new PBR material workflow, with UDK using the diffuse/specular phong style materials.

There are many great free tutorials on youtube for advanced materials so long as you know what you are looking for, or if you don’t have a look through list of community tutorials. They are not all related to materials, but there is quite a few good ones in there to get you started. :slight_smile:

Wow that was fast :smiley: Thanks mates.

I am more trying to achieve these hard to make shaders, like transparent skin (I made one but it looks like ice :smiley: ) foliage, displacement mapping etc.

I will be checking that list thanks a ton.