Download

Is there anything wrong with using eye adaptation in place of light intensity?

I’m trying to balance out realistic illumination settings in an open world game with the ability to actually see well enough to play, and I’m finding that it is way easier to set my directional and skylights to a set intensity (4.4 and 1.0 respectively), then adjust eye adaptation’s min and max brightness to some identical value between 0.3-0.8 depending on the time of day. By setting them to the same value I disable eye adaptation, but messing with the actual value they’re set to does wonders to improve and fine-tune visibility.

So is this an acceptable use of eye adaptation? I feel like using post-processing to fine-tune visibility instead of the actual lights is like driving a nail with a screwdriver, but it’s so much easier that I find it really tempting.

If your lighting setup is really simple, then I think it would be okay. However, if you have artificial lights or glowing materials it will get way too complicated really fast, because you’d have to be balancing stuff against other lights and the eye adaptation. I think it would be a safer strategy to use eye adaptation only for what it’s designed for.

That makes sense, thanks :slight_smile: