Is there another way to get stylized grass?

I am trying to make stylized grass but the only way to achieve my desired look is by making the blend mode translucent in the instanced material. However I get flickering issues with the grass because the grass is technically see-through. I have tried to just remove shadows to get the look but there are still shadows on the underside of the grass because the sun is not lighting that part. They also get this weird fuzzy looking effect when the simplegrasswind is applied to it.

Image of translucent grass (top) and non-translucent grass (bottom)

You will always get the fuzzy effect with moving actors at the moment. It’s to do with Lumen.

1 Like

That is actually a video I referred to but nothing he said in it actually helps besides the way I found…

Did you try just turning off the shadow in the foliage tool? ( I don’t know how you’re populating the landscape )

( same applies in landscape grass type ).

I have turned off shadows in the foliage tool. I believe it isnt the fact that the grass is casting a shadow, because I can visibly see that it isnt on the ground, howver the undersides are not getting lit by the sun, giving it the illusion that it has shadows.

Strangely enough, the effect a lot of people are struggling to achieve… :slight_smile:

The answer is in here ( I think ) somewhere

1 Like

I have solved the issue. I made the normals of the model in blender face Z up. And then I uncheck tangent space normals in the material menu. Thank you so much!

1 Like