Is there a way to make an imported texture look the same as the original?

This applies to all versions of UE4, but when I import a texture it looks very diffused in the texture editor and it takes a great deal of adjustments to get it to look relatively like the original image I imported, yet still far enough off it does not look good. For example I import a red brick texture and inside the texture editor it is amost pink. I do not want to add any color to it when I make the material, I want it to look just as I had made it in photoshop. I typically import .png’s

Thanks

you may want to check the alpha channel, import it without the alpha channel if it is your problem.

Make sure the gamma correction is set correctly for the original image.
You can also double click on a texture in the content browser and disable SRGB.
though the latter is not suggested for PBR. (physical based rendering)

And where would I go to check this gamma correction?

And by the way the sRGB did darken the image a little but it still does not look like the original.

I added an example… link textThe left is the a snip from the texture in photoshop. It is just a normal picture saved as a .png file, nothing special. The right is the texture after I import it into UE4 with default settings.

I would do that but .png’s do not have alpha channels.

well sure they hold transparency information
Just one .png and one.jpeg
same picture, same export settings, same everything except extension

would’ve uploaded a targa also but website says it is invalid

I ran into this problem in 4.6, usually they show up absolutely fine in engine now though, just had issues once and switched to .tga, never ran into it again

alt text

I’m not saying that is the issue, your images just have some resemblance to this problem I had with .pngs being exported out with an alpha

Ok thanks, I learn something new every day, I was under the assumption that they did not have an alpha because it never gives the option to save with it. I will try it in a few.

If everything is showing up fine in your material than everything is fine, just tick the alpha to be off in the texture viewport to see if it is

Ok there is no alpha channel in any of my images according to the viewport, I imported a targa, png, and jpeg and they all looked alike but the image is still much lighter than the original.

In photoshop set this:

to “Internet standard RGB” (sRGB)

Also, 16-bit PNG has an issue at the moment, save it as 8-bit or use .TGA.

Ok, I will check this tonight when I get home from work. I did however save as a targa as a test but no difference there.

The sRGB in Photoshop darkened it a bit but it still is lighter than the original. The other recommendations did not do anything either

Ok I got it to work on another texture, I changed it to an 8-bit .png file and it imported fine. I must have different issues with my other one. Thankyou!

In Photoshop,at the bottom right corner,click channel,you can only see RGB,you can’t see alpha channel,actually there is a alpha channel,export the texture to ue4,click the texture,enter to texture editor,at the top middle,you can see rgba,totally 4 channels,I don’t know why,actually Photoshop use alpha channel,but it do not display it.