Is there a simple way to mirror an animation and save it as a separate file?

Basically all I want to do is make my current strafe right animation mirrored and set it to strafe left.

Want to mirror this so the character jogs left. Strafe right

Hey @DeCapital! Welcome to the Forums!

There is a built in function for mirroring animations in Unreal! Check out the Unreal docs on the subject here:

Mirroring Animation in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation.

I hope the above provides the solution you are looking for!

This is exatly what I was looking for, but how do I save the mirrored animation as a different asset so I can use it in a blendspace if I need to?

Hey @DeCapital!

If you are looking for a separate animation file, then you are going to have to mirror the animation in whatever program you used to create it (blender, maya, etc.) and export it that way, as the method above is only a data table for use in the Animation blueprint.

I hope the above helps point you in the direction you are looking for!

This topic is old but I’ll post this info here for future readers:
You can add your unmirrored animation into a LevelSequence (i.e. Sequencer window) track.
From there you can right click → Properties → Add your MirrorDataTable.
Right clicking on the track will allow you to bake the animation as a mirrored sequence.

I’m trying to do this but I cant find a way to add the Mirrored data table to the sequencer and mirror the original animation. How do you do this?

You have to drag in your SkeletalMesh into Sequencer then add the animation to be mirrored into its Animation track. Right click the sequence in the Animation track and you should find the option there.

After adding the MirrorDataTable you can simply bake it to a sequence by right-clicking your Skeletal Mesh track → Bake Animation Sequence.

Here’s a screenshot.

2 Likes