Is there a documentation/tutorial for the 4.16 Built-in-cloth system?

Question…

Is there an easier way of doing than having to:

1. Set up physics asset.
  2. Create cloth asset (which i can’t seem to find anywhere to delete if i want to, which is important because…)
  3. Paint values.
  4. Apply cloth asset to mesh.
  5. Notice that the physics asset needs adjusting.
  6. Adjust physics asset.
  7. Repeat from step 2 onward (with a now ever increasing list of cloth assets).

^ idk if it is what you are looking for + it could be unavailable before (idk).

I still fight with collision, anyone found anything about not working collision?

While it’s awesome that Epic are including functionality for prototyping, I’d strongly recommend you roll functionality yourself for production (unless you’re willing to make engine code changes). Why? First of all, it’s trivial code to write. Second, it’s arguably the most important code in your game (since it differentiates your gameplay mechanics from competitors). Third, it leaves you in full control of the gameplay system so you can do as much weird nasty stuff to it as you like, so when that designer says “Hey we need one quest to do X to your stamina if you’ve got weapon equipped”, you’re able to accomodate that request. Fourth, it ensures you have a full and complete understanding of the code, reducing the likelihood of bugs and speeding up debugging time later in the project. My experience with out-of-the-box gameplay solutions like these is that they offer a great amount of functionality for quick prototyping, but lack the fine details and lesser-used functionality that you’ll need to ship a game, plus they weren’t really difficult to implement anyway, so it’s a wasted effort learning the system - just roll your own. There are some parts of a game where it makes sense to use an engine, but IMHO isn’t one of them. Just my 2c of course.

Yes the process you described is what we have to live with for now. If you select the part of your mesh that is going to be cloth, you can delete cloth assets in the detailspanel:

Apologies Perjin you’re absolutely correct. I was mistaken here and I thought only planes were limited in manner because of the method used to build convex objects (32-bit bitfield). Under the hood NvCloth uses a similar construct for spheres/capsules so we are also limited to 32. I’ll make sure to add something editor side to make much more obvious when people are building clothing asset.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Benn.

I updated the 4.17 preview today and now it works.
I don’t know if I have been stupid and missed the option the whole time but I now found the option to select the physics asset used for collision in the cloth config. I assumed the physics asset of the skeletal mesh would be used automatically.

Or was the option introduced with the newest update?

Hope answers all questions

Heya! I’ve been having problem where the cloth is lightly clipping the body - you know, just the side of the leg or the back. I think if we could implement a backstop it’d work but I can’t find it in the new clothing tools. Am I overlooking something obvious?
2017-07-26.png
Clipping at the legs, I can live with - but showing both hams there is something I’d like to avoid.

Hi - can someone tell me where these “Backstop” settings are? I can’t seem to find them

Nevermind I found them in the Cloth Paint Tab under the Cloth Painting - Painting Property…

Although I am having trouble getting decent results - for a cape hanging off the back - what might some starting numbers approximately be? - Also painting the cloth doesn’t really show any approximation for the values that are already painted - Pink seems to be 0 and everything else is white - am I missing something there?

I am feeling a bit stupid - can you show where are these backstop settings? I see no painting property there.

Edit. Nevermind, i found it. In 4.16 that is. In 4.17 for some reason there is no such setting. Pretty daunting, considering 4.16 has other bugs that were fixed in 4.17.

Open up the clothing skeletal mesh - open up the “Window” → “Cloth Paint” window - click the “Enable Paint Tools” button - select the Asset - and down near the bottom there should be a “Cloth Painting” Section - in there is a “Painting Property” drop down - and in THERE is the ability to choose the Backstop Distances, and Backstop Radius - and paint those values

if you are stuck at not having a “Cloth Paint” option in your Window menu - then you need to enable the experimental Clothing tools in your editor settings :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Nevermind, i finally found it. If anyone contacts my stupidity - in 4.17 to edit backstop you have to create a separate mask and set it’s target to Backstop.

ahh I am not playing with 4.17 yet - thanks for the heads up!

Anyone know why my cloth might disappear? I had no probs getting to work on a single mesh, but for some reason a multipart mesh is giving me probs. By multi-part I mean in Max there are 3 meshes, hair, face+hands+legs, and clothing. These were all exported as 1 fbx. Each mesh has its own material (well, actually the face+hands+legs one has 2).

When I create a clothing asset for the hair and/or clothing, assign it to the corresponding section and paint it, it looks good in the persona viewport; Enabling/Disabling Paint mode I can see their respective extremities each jiggle a bit, and it looks good. But in game the section completely disappears (whether I have Remove from mesh checked or not).

Hey guys, can someone help me to understand masks and there influence better?
I have no clue how they affect the cloth asset itself, what is Backstop distance?

What Values do you guys use for testing 0- 10?

How to setup cloth on cloth? For example freehang belts on a skirt? Would you go with two different physics assets to avoid intersections? Or is there another smart way to detect cloth on cloth? I couldnt find anything online.
Thanks for helping me out.

Masks are just containers that store painted values, they can be enabled and disabled so changes can be tested non-destructively. The mask target determines what those values will be applied to. “Backstop Distance” is a target. Right clicking on a mask allows you to set the desired target. If you look earlier on in thread I illustrated what backstops are and how they work.

For cloth on cloth we have no solution currently, layered clothing is complex and we don’t have a good solution for that at time. For a belt you could however just have a number of bones inside the belt that are simulated, and attach clothing collision objects to the bones. That will move the cloth away from the belt at runtime, but the cloth will never be able to apply force to the belt so you’ll need to tweak the constraints on the belt bones to not allow it to push too far.

Hopefully helps.

Benn.

hey Exelcior,

thanks for your quick reply. I found a strange behaviour today …
A few verticies are poping crazy around. i double checked my mesh + skinning/normals everything seams to befine here. Changed the physics asset as well didnt found the error.
Do you have any clue how can happen? The rest of the sim works perfect on my side.

Btw how does the gradient tool work with 4.17? Before it was switching with “enter” between min/max values, did the hotkey changed?

_

[QUOTE=Exelcior;735157]
should be fixed for 4.17. I was incorrectly building the base transform for the master pose which led to artefacts.

I am still having problem in 4.17. To clarify:

1. Create two skeletal mesh actors with some simulated cloth: mesh A and B. ( works okay, I can see both meshes with cloths independently simulating.)
  2. Call the “Set Master Pose Component” node to make B mimic A’s pose (works OK, B now clones A’s pose, both cloths independently simulating)
  3. Call the “Bind Cloth to Master Pose Component” node on B’s mesh. (Does not work: I now see A’s cloth simulating, and B’s cloth is non-simulating/not animated.)

Does work for anyone else post 4.16? Any workarounds?