Is there a documentation/tutorial for the 4.16 Built-in-cloth system?

I’ve completed the steps and am seeing 0 simulated vertices under the Asset Details>Clothing. What am I missing?

I’m having the same problem as gamesmyth27, painting the mesh works fine but I don’t get any simulated vertices or any movement in the cloth after disabling the paint tools. The mesh pieces are skinned to the character.

Any idea why might happen?

EDIT: Solved it, was a stupid mistake, after making the clothing asset and painting it you need to assign it in the ‘Asset Details’ window under the ‘Clothing Assets’ rollout, for the appropriate material slot, now have the issue of it being really weird and broken with it scaling up and flapping all over the place but it’s a start, here’s a picture and the original mesh for comparision:

I am trying to create cloth asset (a skirt for example) that can be added or removed from player character during runtime via classic RPG inventory system.
How can I make the fabric to collide with underlying player character?

Is there any way of using system with more complex items than just linear pieces of cloth?

Buttons, zippers, even stuff like ribbed edges or anything that needs its own discrete shape or behaviour just seems to not work well at all, it all kinda just melts into a single mess.

Last I checked The in built cloth system doesn’t have such features, not even latch to nearest yet so you can’t have thick cloth like you used to before. But with that said realtime cloth will always have major drawbacks, it’s not really there yet you will get intersections and weird jumping artifacts, it will always be unpredictable to an extent and behave unnaturally for larger cloth objects.

Which is why for more complex movements cloth will be baked in as offline animation and imported as a skin setup with bones. Of course method is much more work but may be worth it for hero characters.

Is there anyway to interact with the cloth? What I want to do is is have shirts on hangers and when you touch them they move. At the moment they seem to have no collision so when the game starts they fall through the ground. If I just paint the bottom half of the shirt it hangs there but again doesn’t seem to have any collision so if I try to touch them my hand just goes straight through.

As a feature, it would be nice to have possibility to import- transfer weights from uv channels / vertex color.
In case of creating cloth asset for hair stripes it would be a better solution. Right now making gradiens fo stripes with gradient tool doesn’t work as intended, and painting weights is very tricky.
Also visualisation in case of hair is very unclear.

Is there a way to create a cloth like leather or wool? Something that would not bend extremely easy.

There are many parameters in cloth config, is there any explanation or example of what they are doing?

Hi Exelcior, can you demonstrate in a video how to use the Backstop Distance and Backstop Radius? I tried creating masks for both but they don’t seem to do anything to the cloth on my character. The clothing just goes through the body mesh.

Also, why do the physics asset capsules keep behaving like cylinders? It’s so annoying! She looks like a robot from behind!

Thank you so much :smiley:

it works now, i know what i am wasting my evening on today.

Hi there,

We have a problem with cloth simulation normals, they are always pointing the opposite way that the mesh normals, it means always backwards. Then, the backstop is also working “backwards”.
It only happens when creating clothing with “create clothing from selection” menu in UE4, the imported apx file works correctly.
We tried with 4.20, 4.23 and even 4.24, same result. See attached pic.

To be sure it’s not our mesh we exported the simple cloth from 4.20 Content Examples and reimported it back in 4.20/23/24, and it gives the same error.

Is that a known bug? Or are we doing something wrong? @Exelcior

And, btw, something unrelated: is there any way to try “Chaos Cloth Editor” in 4.24 or it’s just a placeholder plugin?