Is there a correct way to play 360 videos in UE4?

Hi everyone,

For a project I need to create something similar to Oculus Rift home, where a user can select and watch 360 videos.

My question is if there is a proper player for 360 videos in Unreal Engine or is there some way to mimic this? The closest I have gotten is by putting a camera inside a sphere with a Media Texture applied to it and setting the camera FOV to about 70, to get a similar result to what I get in other viewers. I am however unsure of the limitations at the moment and there is some distortion.

Any help or information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I also want to know

You are correct as this seems to be the only real way to do it…(material 2 sided)

This is a question I keep asking but no real replies…

It works ok with low quality video (HD etc) but we need be able to play at least at (4096x2048 / 30fps) to get the best result
and the current framework is not capable at that resolution and Framerate.

Alot of people have jumped ship over to Unity to accomplish this…but I really want to stick with Unreal as I have invested too much time in it !!

Come on UE guys throw us a bone !

Dunk

@VaizardNL

You are correct as this seems to be the only real way to do it…(material 2 sided)

This is a question I keep asking but no real replies…

It works ok with low quality video (HD etc) but we need be able to play at least at (4096x2048 / 30fps) to get the best result
and the current framework is not capable at that resolution and Framerate.

Alot of people have jumped ship over to Unity to accomplish this…but I really want to stick with Unreal as I have invested too much time in it !!

Come on UE guys throw us a bone !

Dunk

Thanks for the replies guys.
@anonymous_user_cbbf1f5c, as far as I know that also has some real limitations, that wouldn’t be suitable for this project (resolution/fps wise).
@DunkenKBliths, indeed. We also had to switch over to Unity and hire someone capable of doing that work. Really hope this is something Epic is putting more effort towards, but I’ve been reading things about ‘Framework 2.0’ for a while now. Let’s hope it is coming sooner rather than later :slight_smile:

Forced to switch over to Unity ?

:frowning: What a shame !

I also looking for solution to use 360 stiched video as animated hdri or sky for game. Is it possible to do it in UE4?

you need to modify sky sphere UV