Is Lumion 7 surpassing UE4 for Arch Vis?

I heard about epic games datasmith last night. It’s in beta. It’s a 3ds max plugin that can :

-Entire scene converted with high-fidelity
-Most 3ds Max materials and lights (V-Ray, Mental Ray and Corona)
-Auto-UV generation for lightmaps

-Auto-conversion of:
Unsupported image formats
-Bump maps into Normal maps
-Image resolution converted to powers-of-two
-Units and scale conversion
-Cameras
-Area-lights mimicked
-Preservation of layers from 3ds Max Proxies, Instances, Scene and Object XREFs
-Conversion of ItooSoft RailClone and ForestPack Pro entities into UE4 concepts

Sounds very powerful for architecture, no? No idea if it’s actually good but you can apply to test it.

Yeah, but it seems like that particular feature isn’t much of a priority for them

Really? Did you see the CGarchitecture survey?

Having just visited 20 Architectural firms (10 of the world’s largest), I can tell you that Unreal is alive and well inside those operations. Datasmith will further drive architects to Unreal as it removes so much wasted time getting data into the engine.

I repeat it all the time, the killer feature will be progressive lightmap baking with path tracing/ray tracing to have offline quality images in playable games/vr!!!
Octane unity is already in beta, they have a subforum dedicated to it @ otoy. 2-3 days ago they said they’re still working on the ue4 plugin. Can’t come fast enough.

Seems that Epic is investing a lot of their resources to productivity. There’s millions of things going on right now with graphics tech.
I have no Idea who would spend $4k on Lumion when you could do everything in UE4. I’ve seen architectural ipad apps with ue4 that look better than the pc version of lumion.
Corona looks good with 3ds max.
The only thing I’ve seen that really impresses me is renderman, and usd from pixar studios. A ton of high end CGI is coming from this tech.

Yeah, what unity does with progressive lightmaps would be pretty useful. Being able to bake only the changes made from the previous bake would be great aswell.

Check us out here:

If you like what you see contact me at

Cheers

Engine technology is driven by pure innovation and the desire to develop new skills whilst pushing everything to the next level, continuously. Unreal like other raster engines provides a gateway to this world, whereas Lumion and its analogues do not. Any architect who realises this will probably benefit from Unreal, whilst the rest will probably prefer Lumion as a means to an end…

Unreal is an order of magnitude more powerful, and it is free. The catch … it requires some effort, and a change in perception.

Cheers

lumion 8 is out. render quality is much better than lumion 7.

I know its old, but still, LOL