Is it possible to use static and dynamic lighting on the same level?

Hi there!
I am working on a large project that has interiors inside a building and a large plot of land outside. I want to bake lighting for most objects. This is the best option in terms of shadow quality and performance for me. I would also like to get dynamic shadows from trees and opening doors.

But I am not able to combine the baked light from some objects with the denamic shadows of other objects in a single level. Is it possible to use static and dynamic lighting on the same level?

I ran some tests,and noticed that the light baking still occurs. I found a baked map in the world settings, but why isn’t it showing up in the level?
I also noticed faint traces of baking under the cube. So the very fact of baking is still happening?

Is the cube set to moveable.

Yes, it’s possible to use both in the same level. Set it to static ( or stationary ), and the light will still provide moveable light for moveable objects.

With this setup, it’s also possible to have static shadows for distance, and dynamic shadows for close up. It’s a setting on the directional light called something like ‘dynamic shadows stationary light’, you can set the distance there.

As far as cascading shadows for distant objects, that would only be for moveable again, of course.

Thank you for your answer! After that, I double checked my settings, and decided to use DirectionalLight and SkyLight separately for the global illumination instead of the SunSky actor. It worked! I managed to combine two types of lighting in one level. Later, I even managed to do this using the SunSky. I don’t know what the problem was. It is possible that in addition to the DirectionalLight and SkyLight in the SunSky actor, there were other objects that needed to establish mobility.
But after that another problem arose. Is it possible to use cascaded shadows in such a bundle? As we can see in the additional screenshot, dynamic cascading shadows and static shadows cannot be rendered at the same time.

Yes, I understand what setting you mean on the directional light.
But the point is that “static shadows for distance, and dynamic shadows for close up” is not exactly what I’m trying to do.
I’m trying to do "static shadows for static objects for ANY distance, dynamic shadows for dynamic objects for close up, and Distance Field Shadows for dynamic objects for far distance.

Ok, well that’s the default :slight_smile:

The problem is that the static shadow disappears at a certain distance. You can see this in the screenshot (The shadow of the static box is visible only up to a certain border) But I need the static shadow to be always visible, regardless of the settings of the dynamic cascaded shadow of other objects.

I don’t know how you’re managing that. Here’s a default level ( which has stationary light ):

331722-screenshot-7.jpg

See how far I am from the cube, the shadow always stays…

331724-screenshot-9.jpg

( have you tweaked other directional light settings? )

Yup… :slight_smile:

( that’s all I did )

Of course) The shadow stays because there are no dynamic objects with cascading shadows in the level.
Try to arrange two cubes static and dynamic. A dynamic cube should have cascading shadows activated, and a static cube only with baked shadows at any distance. is it posible?

Of course, for two days already.
Please tell me, have you activated the cascaded shadows in your directional light?

Sounds very exciting. Can you send me this project in any way convenient for you, so that I can figure it out in more detail?

boom:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9V0jXC6x2cRc1fQg4KDdcXyij4qv29-/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!
I checked it.
But the shadow on a static cube is dynamic. To understand this, turn off dynamic shadows in the cube settings, and you will see that it does not cast static shadows. To see the static shadows you have to turn off the cascading shadows and you will immediately see the baked shadows on the static cube. So, unfortunetly, there is still no solution how to see Static shadows on a static cube and dynamic cascading shadows on a dynamic cube)

Ah, it’s only because I set ‘dynamic shadow distance’ on the static light.

It you put that back to zero ( or an interval of your choice ), you’ll see the static objects have burnt in shadows…

You have to settle for dynamic for nearby and static for far away.