Is it possible to render the first person completely seperately. Not panini related

Also I cant just change the FOV on the scope unless I use PIP, which is a resource hog. Im zooming the whole screen to do the FOV change.

This is what I mean by zoom:

Notice how as the zoom increases, less of the ground (i.e. what’s below the scope) is visible. As the zoom increases, the FOV decreases, and less can be seen in the scope.

What I’m saying is that COD and the other games aren’t purposely hiding the barrel, it’s just happening by the nature of the zoom.

2 Likes

I was convinced using a masked material could work so I tried to set it up, and encountered a problem I cannot for the life of me figure out…

Blame pre-skinned?

Same result when using world position transformed to local

Is it the ScopePosition? You’re not PIE so the parameter isn’t being updated.

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean, but it dosent seem to work, you can see the 4x there has no barrel or scope in it, it definitely dosent look like that in engine with a 4x, ive tried 2 different guns 2 different scopes at 3.5-4x and they both clearly have the scope/iron sights in them.

Same result in PIE/Standalone, the position seems to be correct, as the hole is in the right spot, its just the plane is oriented wrong

Btw, go book a shooting lessen so you can look down a sight.

And for x4 if you really don’t want to see the gun, you can just move the capture camera out to the proper distance or start past a sight.

Just curious, why not do a different mask just based on the scope position? The idea is good, this would probably also work with a box mask.

I just tested with some binoculars. I put my finger in front of them just below the lens: I couldn’t see my finger. Even when putting my finger directly on the lens (like wiping my finger on the lens) I could see past it.

But nonetheless, I think I found a solution if you still want it.

I literally have a mosin nagant with a PU scope 3.5x sitting next to my desk, you cant see the barrel/iron sights…

Could be due to the position change in the function btw.
If it’s like adding up rotate about axis you need to sum up the original object position to it / could be something similar because the editor is at 0 0 0. The gun in game is not.

1 Like

That’s my point.

Exactly. Do the math, offset the scene capture at the proper distance.

Im not doing it using fancy camera captures, im literally lining the first person camera up with the scope and trying to not see the barrel through it when reducing the FOV. Its not possible even with a huge zoom.

Regarding the mask based on the scope position, that is what im trying to do, but there are many different scope weapon combinations and im trying to make it so that its masking in realtime as the gun moves around rather than just like lining it up perfectly and having a perfectly matching circular mask to do the work. Its just too crude to do it that way.

Yeah I know I was replying to another user not you dont worry, but yeah we’re on the same wavelength here, you cant just see whats directly infront of a magnified lens, its just not how it works irl.

im not using a scene capture though, im just using default camera position.

Yes this is exactly what I was looking for in the video, im gonna give it a crack now thanks for uploading this video!

*edit didnt watch till the part where it dosent work in game haha

This does depends on the lense btw. The zoom level too. An ACOG sight does allows you to see the sight for instance.

The way to do this is with a “fancy” render target and a proper material.

When you “zoom” the capture is moved to the zoom location the scope needs.

Basically I just don’t know how to get it to work. I considered using a sphere mask but it just cuts a spherical chunk out of the mesh and hides it, it doesn’t do any screenbased occlusion which is why I went with the 2D plane.