Download

Is it possible to code outside unreal and only use its graphics engine for the visuals?

Is it possible to code outside unreal and only use its graphics engine for the visuals? Also, what type of UV mapping file is better: png or svg?

Thanks in advance.

Briefly introducing myself:
Since this is my first post, I guess I should introduce myself. Information Systems student, trying to rebuild the game ridge racer for the final project of the bachelor’s course:

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVq0VOb9Dok

I would like to thank the Unreal Team for providing such a great tool for us. Respect.

You would have to create some way of integrating your outside code with UE4, probably not worth the effort.

Neither png or svg are UV mapping, UV mapping is a set of coordinates that determines how a 2D texture is mapped to a 3D model. If you’re talking about textures, svg is not a supported format, it’s also a vector format which games don’t use either. The preferred formats are png or tga–png is a bit easier to work with, but sometimes you need to use tga so that you can control the transparent colors.

Thanks for replying, Darthviper. Yeah, I mixed things up a bit but I’m really talking about UV mapping (the way the 3d application uses to wrap a 2d image around a 3d mesh surface). Since UV map is about 2D images, I thought maybe unreal would take height and width pixel values from pngs files or x and y values from svgs exported by blender to make its own coordinates. As blender offers these two options for uv exporting, I thought this would be the right question to ask. Problem is when I export the fbx file I don’t get my textures applied. Anyways… I’ll take a closer look at the docs and videos out there.