Is it possible change Mesh Qualities(LOD) as a User Settings

What I am looking for would be a Bias for the LOD System. So that the Player can choose in the Seetings wich LOD should be used as default.

Example:
The player want lower a mesh quality so the bias will be set to 2. Therefore the Default LOD that is used is not 0 but 2.

The Reason behind this Feature is an immersion study where contestants can switch between different mesh quality settings.

You can change LOD in blueprints

1 Like

I’ve just build a system into rdLODtools that allows you to very quickly change the LOD Bias for multiple-selected actors - it makes it very quick and easy to set this.

I’ll hopefully be submitting the update of rdLODtools 1.3 in the next few days.

This is for the editor though - in this instance you’ll probably want to play with the scalability options for your project, you can also set up LOD groups for different hardware (or custom groups for your own).

Thanks for the fast answer.

To still use higher LODs in the distance (for performance). I would have to add code that calculates that right?

But u cant change the Bias for the objects at runtime right?

I think there is a console command that racks the LODs up or down, just checking…

1 Like

You can with a console command (r.ForceLOD [X]), but the scalability that you use in games (think settings in games menus) controls it nicely.

1 Like

You mean these Settings right? As far as I know they dont influence LODs

You do it by added custom LOD groups - I haven’t been able to find a nice simple explanation yet, but this is close:

Just thinking - I’m making the premise you don’t want all meshes in your scene changing LODBias.

If it’s OK that all your scene drops Poly’s then the console command would be the easiest way to go.

If you’re only wanting specific meshes to reduce - then the LOD groups (or just changing the mesh being displayed would be the way.

1 Like

ideally I would want all meshes changing the LOD with one BIAS. But I gues I have to setlle for one of the two way u mentioned

1 Like