Is it poossible to select a separated navmesh area?

Hey there, I was wondering if it’s possible to select a specific part of my navmesh and give it functionality (make it highlight or communicate with blueprint/widget)

I want the option to select a room as seen in the picture below and give it some interaction (on click or show widget on mouse hover)
if there is any other way i’ll be really glad to know since i didn’t find any other info regarding it.

thank you.

also posted in the forums: [HERE][2]

I think what you are asking is that “can I click in a specific area and select it”. This really doesn’t have to do with a navmesh. A navmesh is used to connect “nodes” together and assist in pathfinding, or find routes from one point to another.

You can, however, setup a simple raytrace from the camera, through the mouse cursor, to see if it hits a rectangle/box surrounding the area (much like the green area from the navmesh). I believe the top-down sample project/template in the engine demonstrates this ability.

Thank you for the reply!

yes, I understand that it is possible with custom made objects that fit the shape of the room.
I was wondering if there is a way to somehow make it automatic / procedural (so it will also update the “room area” accordingly to changes that might be made in the future - renovations etc…)

I’m making a big complex with hundreds of rooms in different sizes, creating specific object for each and every room size is insane work and sound like wrong working proccess.

on the contrary, making a “Room” blueprint with variables (to change room details and size) might sound like a better way but placing hundreds of these blueprints (later on maybe even thousands) feels like it will overload the system since they are all created from the begining of play.

maybe create a volume in BP that raytraces in it’s borders and making that area a reference I can use to highlight it?

Hmmm… Now that you mentioned it, I take that back. If you were only trying to raycast to the “green” navmesh plane, you can do that.

The example would be in the VR template, when it’s tracing the path of the teleport “beam”, it’s using a raycast to determine where it hits the navmesh. You have to look at the map that teleports as locomotion, but I’m positive it’s in there. Look for the navigation raycast function, but I think the “beam” is cast using a projectile path function.

I would still use the camera as the source of the cast and the mouse pointer as the vector of direction as per the top-down template example

Very interesting…will have to check it out, not sure my knowledge is suitable enough for this kind of work but hey…why not.

the challenge will be to make it operational and communicating with widget and blueprint.

Thanks for the insight :slight_smile: