Is it better to create my own water, Oceans,Lakes,rivers etc.?

I do believe that there is reason to use the Water system in Unreal 5. But I just cant seem to customize it the way I want… ie I want different biomes, Swamps, bogs, normal lakes, and ocean. I am really not to use to playing around with the engine water system and it is kinda hard to find any advanced water system usage on youtube. Is it just better to do your own water systems? or can anyone direct me to a more advanced use of the system in engine source?

1 Like

Te water plugin is not very reliable yet (it’s still in beta), it gave me so many problems in the past that I never suggest anyone to use it

I tried testing with it and found many issue, from the Memory issues with the spline river and also what the expected uses for these components, as it primarily is, as I have seen from every video I find, just as the built in features set into them, seem to be designed for a limited range of uses.

You get a Ocean with a hole in the center, designed to surround a central island but there are no ways, it seems to remove this hole and the splines are only in the center, A lake component and a river, the river can max out your Computer memory before you can even select the points to modify it, if your not lucky, strangely it dose not crash though, but slows your computer to a crawl if your not careful, especially on larger landscapes, Then they also will modify your landscapes, the ocean will flatten everything that is where the water is, leaving the middle where the hole is. there is no way to disable the effect landscape feature, although there is a checkbox, it just turns the water completely off though. The custom Water is the one that dose not carve and has no hole no splines and is rectangular but has no underwater effects also if you try to use a river spline the custom water disappears.

In all, the whole set is designed for a simple island landscape where the island is in the center and with rivers and lakes.
It dose not allow for you to have open ocean on its own, you cannot define it to be on a large shoreline only, there are no components to create harbors or bays, the closest being Lakes, it’s not good with multiple scooped harbors with many smaller bays or coves, etc, such as the example I was trying to use it for, just the “custom” seemed to work to a degree, though no rivers or streams and it fills the entire world under the Landscape.

My scene involved a large 8km landscape with a large harbor offset to one side opening towards the right heading towards what would be the ocean, the harbor has many scooped out coves and from most of these are creeks and streams running off them. The built in water really was not suited to this. Since it was not an island

Actually the free Water Materials pack from the Market Place has some excellent effected water but is just that, a materials pack you still need to setup meshes to apply them to.