Is foveated ray tracing possible in UE?

Recently UE is improving with futuristic features. One such feature could be “Foveated Ray Tracing”. Unlike head-mounted displays (Oculus/HTC/Verjo SDK), would it be possible implement foveated ray tracing in desktop environment? For example, I have eye tracker, and large single display. I want to have more ray density in the foveated region (ROIs) and less rays in the periphery. How can I do it?

1 Like

That should technically be possible, there’s UE4 integration with the Tobii Eye Tracker available in the marketplace: Tobii Eye Tracking SDK in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace
However, you’d probably need to get into the C++ code to either make the existing VR foveated rendering work on a desktop with the tracker or make your own solution for it.

1 Like

Thanks. Instead of Tobii eye tracker, I have a pupil Core eye tracker. So, if I follow the similar approach of HTC pro eye SDK implementation (ray tracing), I can have the similar result on a desktop, right?

I found this which can probably help to some degree: Getting Started with VRS & Foveated Rendering using HTC Vive Pro Eye & Unreal Engine - Developer Blog - Community Forum

I can’t find anything for integration of the Pupil Core Eye Tracking system and Unreal Engine. It’s open source so the stuff is available to make it work with Unreal if you know what you’re doing.

1 Like

The variable rate shading (VRS) is actually designed for the shading reduction on a raster pipeline. I do not think it will work in the same way for the ray tracing/path tracing. Theoretically it may be possible, but practically far behind.