Irritating SSR behavior, any way to combat it?

Hi all

I’ve attached a pic of my issue with SSR on my floor. It seems as if the capture renders whatever’s on the back side of objects (as per default I guess, as it doesn’t know what’s behind the objects). The issue is, that because of the relatively slow updates on the floor, the “ghost” image of objects as visible when I move the camera.

In the pic, I just pan the camera, and you can see the ghost effect. It runs all the way to the edge of the floor.

Is there a way to get around this?

thanks!

I’m not sure if the parameters for the SSR temporal sampling are adjustable, but in any case I don’t believe SSR is suitable for a large area flat mirror-like reflection like you’re doing there. Unfortunately, it seems planar reflections didn’t make it from UE3 to UE4 yet.

More or less the answer I was expecting :slight_smile: Thanks!

I’ll just play around without the floor reflection for now, it wasn’t really a biggie. If I come across a solution of sorts, I’ll post it here.

Hi eilsoe,

We had a user point this out a few weeks back and have submitted a request for this to be looked into. I took a screen shot to better illustrate the reflection that is going on in the back end.

In the image I’ve attached you’ll see that I am far enough away from the corner that there should not be any reflection of my character there. But in the highlighted area you can see that my characters shoulders are being reflected.

SSR.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Tim

Hey Tim

Yeah it looks like the exact same issue. My models are more “boxy” in shape, so I didn’t see it unless I moved the camera around.

Good to know it’s been reported :slight_smile:

Seems like it’s not accounting for the depth difference between the upper portion of the character and the floor there correctly?