Internal compiler error while compiling Unreal Engine 5.3.1 from Source

I am trying to build Unreal Engine 5.3.1 from source but Visual Studio 2022 is giving me an internal compiler error when I attempt to compile it:

1>C:\dir\ue5\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\PhysicsEngine\PhysDrawing.cpp(173): fatal error C1001: Internal compiler error.

1>(compiler file 'D:\a\_work\1\s\src\vctools\Compiler\Utc\src\p2\main.c', line 234)

1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.

1>If possible please provide a repro here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com

1>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++

1> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

I had downloaded the UnrealEngine-5.3.1-release.zip file, run the Setup.bat followed by the GenerateProjectFiles.bat files, and then opened the solution, changed the environment to Development Editor on Win64 and tried to build UE5.

My visual studio 2022 was installed with these components:

vs_community.exe --layout c:\VSLocalLayout ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeGame --includeRecommended ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeDesktop --includeRecommended ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.x86.x64 ^
--add Microsoft.Net.Component.4.8.1.SDK ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.18362 ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.19041 ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.20348 ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows11SDK.22000 ^
--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows11SDK.22621 ^
--lang en-US

I attached the full compile log.
ue5_compile_log.txt (859.9 KB)

Anything obvious I may have done wrong, or are there any visual studio 2022 components Iā€™m missing? Should I try an older version of UE5 instead?

Hi,
Two things
Add a larger pagefile.sys to make up for only 8GB memory - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)
Click in Visual Studio 2022 update install ā€œMoreā€¦ā€ box the ā€œRepairā€ function then the ā€œUpdateā€ box for the latest version
Try my version with instructions at
jimshalo10/UnrealEngine-5 at Luoshuangs-GPULightmass-5.3 (github.com)

same problem seeking solutions

I have the same problem, absolutely no idea what causes it.

Hi,
This error was fixed in 17.8 of vs2022
open the Visual Studio Installer from Windows start bar,
Click modify and update to the Latest version of Visual Studio and then Repair and the error will be fixed

No. In my case it has to be some hardware issue or something, but changing out memory or using a different SSD didnā€™t have any effect. Other systems work fine, so itā€™s strange that the error only occurs when compiling large code bases on this system. Other stress tests or heavy applications run without errors so far.

hi @Peter.Maandag ,
there is an posting
Why am I receiving an error when trying to compile in VS (C1001, MSB3073)? -

Checked the error in source code the code is fine on other PC

Thanks, my issue was system instability after all. Prime95 tests also fail after a long time.
The RAM and SSDs used are verified intact. Must be bad BIOS settings or something like that. Pre-built Intel system is being sent back, itā€™s just not stable even after updating to the latest BIOS and disabling all ā€˜multi core enhancementā€™ / xmp settings.

1 Like

In case anyone is interested: I got my PC back from the store and they added a bunch of fans, but what I think really fixed it is that they changed the SVID behavior setting in BIOS to ā€˜Intelā€™s Fail Safeā€™. Something I overlooked myselfā€¦ My PC is working normally now, no more internal compiler errors.

*EDIT: The friggin i9 13900K is still unstable. It may be overheating, although it has a high-end air cooler. Turns out that this problem returned after some time. I had to reduce the power limit drastically on this CPU in order to prevent it from malfunctioning. Latest intel CPUs really are a head ache. If you really make use of this CPU it turns out they are just unstable on factory default settings.