P4 user here.
It would be nice if you, either today in the stream or through online documentation (this would be ideal) explain the things nobody can find online:
- What’s the process to get an Epic P4 user to access your perforce depots
- What’s the best way to upgrade the engine?
Point 2 REALLY needs proper documentation. All that the current documentation explains (and I’m very thankful for that even being bit old) is what to sync/not sync.
Right now, what we do to upgrade (and almost everyone we talked to about this) is this:
- download from the stream needed from Epic’s depot to a computer
- Upload all that to our depot to a stream just for that
- Merge whatever engine changes we have from our Main stream into the Upgrade stream used in #2
- Test everything works and copy the upgrade stream in to the main one.
Step #1 + #2 are very problematic, because we don’t know what kind of encoding Epic’s depot uses and there’s no way (or at least we couldn’t find a way) to keep the same r/w permissions in the files types. Every time we do this, we have to spend A LOT of time fixing problems due wrong r/w permissions in our end, which means that need to look the original config in your depot for the failing file type and modifying the permission in our end to match it through p4 console commands.
There’s a much better approach for all this: remote depot. But we can’t get access to it. Mainly because there’s no pipeline/process to manage p4 users with you Epic. It’s either opening a UDN threat (cross fingers) or sending emails to people you know at Epic (if you happen to know people there).
So please, make good documentation explaining the best way to upgrade using P4 and put a process to request and fix problems with P4 accounts. It would make our lives much easier.