Inside Unreal: Introduction to Common UI

WHAT
What is one of the most fundamental pieces of any project? If you guessed UI, you’d be right! Even though it’s a necessary step there are a lot of questions around some of the best ways to create and implement it, so this week we’ll be discussing with our own technical writer Michael Prinke some of the best tips and tricks, do’s and don’ts, and a general introduction to common UI.

WHEN
Thursday, July 21st @ 2:00 PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
YouTube

WHO
Michael Prinke - Technical Writer - @Mike_Prinke
Tina Wisdom - Community Manager - @TheUnWiseTina

If you’re unable to make the livestream, all episodes of Inside Unreal can be viewed afterwards on-demand .

21 Likes

Hi @Tina_Wisdom
Great topic. I have two questions:

1. It seems that movement input is disabled by default whenever a common UI is activated. Is there any way to change this logic? Perhaps it’s Lyra’s specific setup.

2. How can I use the built-in UI gameplay tag system to toggle visibility of any other custom UI? For instance, if I have a visible minimap on screen, I want to hide it whenever a pause menu is activated. I know that can be done with gameplay event tags, but I have no clue how to properly do it.

I’d appreciate if the devs can help me out.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this Talk! I was just questioning how to implement multi-platform Controls and this came in perfectly. Very well explained, together with showing how to solve problems Live, which I really enjoyed :D! Have a nice 2 week break to y’all!

The Common_UI is really good, but a couple features are missing.

• Overwrite Navigation Keys (Keyboard Arrows, Gamepad D-Pad) This Keys can’t be used if selection focused.
  • Gamepad Thumpstick Floating (for left and right custom Navigation)
  • Multi-Key or alternative assignment (ESC + P + Pause = Execute)
  • CommonUI_BaseButton (Dispatcher with Pressed and Released Events)
1 Like

Hey!

There is an option to tie an input action to a UI button in Common UI, but it needs to be based out of an arbitrary table.

Is there a way to tie an input action defined in an input mapping context to a UI button?

Hey, in Common UI documentation they explain how to enable/tweak input interaction, check this out:

3 Likes

Hi
thank you for sharing. I’ll try it out.

1 Like

More UI and UMG talks and tutorials.

1 Like

Heya, thank you for the livestream! Really helped to clear up some usage on commonUI, specially on the layer stack, it’ll make LYRA much easier to navigate now!

I have a question: How would we go around building rebindable keymappings utilizing the methods shown in the livestream?

Whenever I save or compile my InputData Blueprint (CommonInputBaseControllerData), all of the Input Brush Data Map array elements are removed and leaves me with 0 Array Elements. I’ve tried adding them one at a time and all at once. I’ve also tried just adding elements and leaving them blank too.

Maybe a bug or am I doing something incorrectly?

Version: 5.0.2-20280985+++UE5+Release-5.0

During the presentation the speaker had a project in which when navigating the selected button had the key configured for “select” action to the right of the button, and it moved while navigating. it would be great to have that project to see how to do that and also manage to configure UI properly to get buttons triggered when triggering an action (project hang twice during the presentation).

This needs a Battle Royal, & much more this has potential to truly open doors for multiplayer because Epic isn’t creating enough EOS Tutorials to learn that from attaching servers to monetizing

Hi,
I’m on UE 4.27 and I’m facing an issue here @1:21:50 There is no function called Get Desired Focus Target when I search for it

is there any way for me to fix this in blueprints?

I tried to fix it with “NativeOnActivated” in code by creating a child class of the activatable widget and overriding “NativeOnActivated” and adding the following

if (GetDesiredFocusTarget())
	{
		GetDesiredFocusTarget()->SetFocus();
	}