Inside Unreal: Animating with the Control Rig Sample Project

Hi guys, I’d like to explore using Control Rig from a VR editor mode. I’m looking to create a tool to be able to create quick animations by grabbinng the control rig controllers and posing the character in VR and saving various keyframes on a timeline. Then I’ll refine the curves outside of VR, or even UE. Does this seem viable to you guys? Anyone has any helpful thoughts, before I start digging into this?

The goal is to use this for linear animation like I’m doing here: SENSE-A: Episode 1 - Scene 1 (Immersive Story Preview) - YouTube

Thanks!

Trying to recreate the Squash and Stretch control rig from the video. When I connect to the Fit Chain on Curve, the displayed curve isn’t an S-curve like in the video. It’s straight. Trying to follow the video as much as I could and I don’t know what’s the problem. Using 4.25.4.

Edit: I think it has something to do with the tangents as I can see the curve’s tangents in the video but not in my preview. I’ve tried changing the translation values in the Make Absolute nodes since they feed into B and C, which I think are the positions of the tangent points, but I’m still not getting any kind of S curve.

Are the demo control rigs going to be provided as that would be most helpful? I didn’t find them in the sample project.

](filedata/fetch?id=1836662&d=1606460506)

@VictorLerp
Is there a way to have an animation track drive the rig controls from an FK skeleton, so that IK controls can be used to put additive animation onto the character?
Or baking motion capture skeleton animation to control rig for tweaks?

@VictorLerp
Really cool features and nice video!
Is it possible to expose the Rig Controls at runtime? I’d like to build a “tool” (executable) to create poses for a character, by having users to manipulate some Rig Controls and save their poses to file.Thanks!

Is there a way to link the transform of a vive controller to a rig controller?

Below is a tutorial, he links vive using XR livelink plugin to camera.

@VictorLerp
I have tried the fullbody IK control rig in 4.26 and it works great. I attached controls to the left hand, right hand, left foot, right foot, head, and pelvis on the mannequin skeleton.
If I save the control rig and then close the project, when I open the project again the fullbody IK rig node is gone. All the get control transform nodes are all still there. If I go back into the control rig blueprint and re-add the fullbody ik, whether I re-add the connections or not and restart the project the fullbody ik node is gone.
Also, when I’m working in the control rig with the fullbody IK node, the node will often disappear even though all the location/rotation connections to the control transforms are still there.

I experienced this on my Windows 10 PC

Also, may I ask about the roadmap for fullbody ik and power ik? Will fullbody ik continue to be its own module that will continue to be developed and power ik will continue to be a separate module? Or, with the acquisition of Power ik will their roadmaps collide?

Failed to load ‘/Script/FullBodyIK’: Can’t find file.

Is the previous issue. Trying to figure that out. rebuilding the engine/project doesn’t seem to be helping

I am trying to find the breaking point to when a saved control rig blueprint can no longer reload a fullbodyik node. It seems to be once you use the control rig in an animation blueprint -> control rig node, the control rig fullbodyik will no be able to reload next time you open the project. The fullbodyik node in the control rig blueprint is fine until then.

If someone else is having this issue, the temporary solution is to make sure the animation blueprint doesn’t have a reference to the control rig blueprint when you close your project so that the fullbodyik node in your control rig blueprint can load properly when you open the project again

FBIKissues.PNG
Loading a Control Rig with a FullBodyIK node is still an issue. Hopefully we can get a hotfix for this in 4.26.1

@anonymous_user_d0819dfa Have you run into this issue?

This may have been due to a corrupt subclass of character

Hi,
Is it possible to save a pose from control rig manipulation at runtime?
Let’s say, I have a mannequin that I can pose by manipulation rig controls ar runtime, I would like to store the created pose. Can we do this?