Inside Unreal: Animating with the Control Rig Sample Project

this is way to hard for me

When it comes to animating, Its Unreal that does the work!

@baroba_at_work

there is a plugin in the marketplace you could do something like this. it reminds me on houdini - fully build inside UE :wink:

The A-Pose is much closer to a natural state that the arms will animate around, being more central to the shoulder’s most commonly used range of motion. It’s not that often to have animations where the arms go straight out like a T-Pose gives you, or even reaching upwards. The benefit is that when skin weighting a character, you get much less deformation on top of the shoulders and less crunch in the armpits to deal with, and it’s easier to skin the upper arm twist influence in there too. Also, you could argue that setting up the elbow targets in an arm IK solution (or a pole vector in the control rig lingo), is much more straight forward from an A-Pose than a T-Pose. (These are two benefits in my opinion). You can still use T-Pose models without problems … just be sure to get them into an A position before attempting to retarget animations from the default UE4 mannequin.

fresh 3rd person template, 4.25.3
3 controll rigs, all the same but 1 gets rotator 1 gets transform and 1 float.
exit and restart UE4 and only float still works

How!?!?!?!?!?!?

The Live stream has not been linked into YouTube yet,

Inside Unreal
403 videos 289,261 views Last updated on Jul 23, 2020”

any idea when it might be available ?

As BECK would say: “WOW!” This is amazing.
Part: 3ds Max MaxScript / Character Studio’.
Part: 'Poser/Daz3D
with the raw power of UE4.

I wrote a book in the mid-2000’s called:** ‘Artistic Motion Performance Capture in 3ds Max’ **-using the often overlooked (even forgotten) ‘Motion Capture Utility’ that was a part of the Autodesk package since it was 3D Studio for DOS!
My procedural use of this tool, allowed me to ‘hand animate’ using not videos or markers, but a joystick, or mouse, or Wacom Pen (what I use…) or even a MIDI controller, to achieve the most natural head, eye and facial animation. (and far better results than any form of ‘marker’, ‘markerless’, video or other type of ‘Rotoscope’ capture. I worked on a movie called: ‘Life of Pi 3D’ in the mid-2000’s, where I used this tool and my ‘Performance Capture’ procedure, to animate NATURAL LOOKING ANIMAL HAIR MOTION!

With my method one chooses every motion, (every ‘micro-expression’) ‘Artistically’, like Sculpting, or Composing Visual Music (and *much like music, doing so in successive ‘multi-track’ animation tracks.) *

With this method I invented, I could finally get the output quality, of the most skilled pose-to-pose ‘hand animation’ imaginable, with the speed and convenience (but none of the limitations, caveats, or 'uncanny valley) of ‘motion capture’!

I think I have waited since then, for this level power-tool, to do so in real-time and finally, fully using GPU properly!

;")

-Woody

Yes! T-pose can be harder to rig and generally makes getting smooth correct shoulder/upper arm deformations, harder. A-pose is just as effective at allowing full control and torso/arm envelope separation, but; without introducing the same problems - (simply, because A it is a more natural / less extreme pose to begin with)…

In my ~30 years of experience rigging (since 3D Studio for DOS), Rigging is ‘done’ a lot faster and requires far less tweaking to get the desired result with A-pose.

-Woody

Hello, is it possible to release the demo content from the live stream? i want to take a deeper dive at some of the examples it that would be possible?

Edit:

Also there are some hopefully small requests that would be possible to add?

1. Custom gizmo Meshes, it can even use the same material that the current gizmo system is using. I would just like to use some custom shapes to better define its purpose. the selection while decent, is a tiny bit limiting. examples https://cgpress.org/wp-content/uploa…cs-rigging.jpg the jaw here specifically - https://blenderartists.org/uploads/d…18d4655197.png

2. In scene Text labeling, unless i missed this, but some sort of in scene text and being able to label certain controls, especially for more complex rigs with many controls, and it being a separate component to add i think would be ideal as the rigger can place it anywhere they need. Examples https://ganimationsimulation.files.w…258780_640.jpg https://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/u…04/image8.jpeg

3. What about Control types “Transform no rotation” and “Transform no Translation” to complete the trio?. I also see that there are limits in place to mimic said types but it also does not look like there are individual limits for each type of transform? Side note: the limiter on rotation and scale do not seem to be working on any of transform control type(it seems to completly lock any rotation and scale from happening)? is this a bug or haven’t gotten to yet?

4. rotational verlet? or does the normal verlet do the job?

So is this system able to cover all the basic IK features of a regular game character? Things like foot IK for ground collision, hand to wall adaptation, etc.

How can the Control Rig be used with skeletal rigs other than the default SK_Mannequin? For example Mixamo Rigs?
I have a rig exported from Mixamo in a T-Pose, The skeleton bones don;t appear too dissimilar to those of the SK_Mannequin but when I use exactly the same configuration that works on the SK_Mannequin for IK of Hand or Foot, on the Mixamo Rig the arms and legs go all bendy.

Can anyone help please?
Why does it work for SK_Mannequin but not MixamoRig?

Ultimately what I want to do is to be able to control my rig in real time using external input (Avateering)
Any pointers on how to do this would be welcome too.

Ayo, asked this answerhub question about some issues I ran into trying to make hand animations for VR using control rig. Anyone got any idea about it?

Basically there seems to be a difference in the generated animations compared to what the control rig looks like.

At time code 53:34 in the livestream Jeremiah shows Additive Control Rig track.

Can the Additive Control Rig track affect CR Controls? or just Bones?

What would be a good way to bake motion capture to the Control rig so that we can then use the Additive Control Rig Track to adjust it with keyframing?

Looking forward to playing around with this system. I ran into an issue after adding a Vector parameter to a Control Rig and exposing it to the AnimBP.

After restarting the editor, I get an error in the class “AnimGraphNode_ControlRig.cpp” at line 112. It seems that FVectors are not handled in this loop, which causes the error. I’d imagine it would be handled by the “GetScriptStruct()” if statement, but this returns a nullptr.

At the moment I’m using three floats to compensate, but is there something I’m missing when exposing vector parameters from the control rig to the AnimBP?

@VictorLerp
Hi, are you planning to release an updated stream showing the revamped and new nodes in 4.26?

There is a lot of great stuff going on, but the inputs are not that obvious anymore. Example: the Start bone and effector bone nodes are gone in CCDIK now.
I am sure there is a way to plug the inputs in, but I cannot find much in documentation about it.
Maybe you could guide me to some good reading?

Cheers,
Jakub

Hey @victor1erp](http://twitter.com/victor1erp), I am not sure if this was intended but it is not possible to create new parameters or variables in the control rig blueprint in the 4.26 preview anymore. It was possible to do so in 4.25. If you right click in the graph “New Parameter” or “New Variable” are not there anymore. Where have they gone?

Variable management has been aligned with Blueprints and are now created from the “My Blueprint” panel available from menu: Window -> My Blueprint

Hey Jakub! Yes we have another livestream planned for the first Thursday in February (2021).

Thanks @VictorLerp , I did not realise you can open “my blueprint” and dock it there, sorry :smiley:

I played around with the Fullbody solver, and when I want to control the hand effectors (bones hand_l and hand_r) the target is not reached fully. see screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2086nfubl962nt/Screen2020-11-11%2012%2010%2053.jpg?dl=0 It seems as though the influence by the control on the bone transform is not a 100% or as if there were some constraints / stiffness parameters applied. But I double checked the setup. and there are no constraints specified anywhere. Also the position alpha is set to 1.0 throughout. Finally I tried to lower “damping” and “max iterations” to no avail. Any ideas?

It is only ocurring when I want to use controls. If I, say, directly manipulate the pin value (“control pin value”) on the position of the effectors, it does reach the target a 100%.
Sorry, If I am missing something very obvious.