Inside Unreal: A Guided Tour of Gameplay Abilities

Hey all, Mike needed a little bit more time to make sure the project is clean and commented before we share it. It’ll be available soon!

I guess considering the depth of GAS won’t be possible. But would love to see GAS in conjunction of Behaviour Trees. Or at least, the cleanest way to add GAS to the AI classes.

I am absolutely aware of it and I still don’t consider this project a guided tour on the setup process of GAS. This is a project that is already set up (just like ActionRPG) with the system and while the README does go through the steps of setting up GAS, I still miss some official Epic live stream that shows how to initialize GAS in a base project (ie. a video tutorial of what GASDocumentation’s README mentions in 4.1.2.). That’s what I hoped this live stream would cover.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks a lot for the awesome episode. I have a question; can the GAS let the player customize the abilities like in diablo or path of exile? For instance, add an explosion to a fireball spell on collision, or make it shoot extra projectiles, or apply a damage over time effect etc.? Thanks a lot!

A question they didn’t get to on stream (username praise_solek) but I’d love to hear more about:
What’s a/the recommended implementation of getting TargetData? The built-in GAS TargetActor system is inefficient, so what’s a good way to use it in a shipped game?

Thank you for the stream guys, was really good. I saw a lot of the technical questions were getting to Michael so i did try to chime in to help where i could. The GAS system is really powerful and there is so much stuff. Michael did really well there.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Amazing stream ! We need more stream and communication/documentation about GAS !

Looking forward for the next GAS documentation update :slight_smile:

tis a meme now

I wouldn’t mind to get my hands on the messy version of the project files, even with an “unofficial link” :wink:

I’d be really great if there would be a follow up stream focusing on multiplayer

Multiplayer is actually quite similar to the standard implementation of any ue4 project, even simpler due to the fact that most tasks (montages playing or gameplaycues, attributes changes repercutions) are already built with network in mind, it might get a bit more complex if you are trying to use prédiction, wich I didn’t need for a basic viable project

Wow insane

The project sample will be made available prior to the livestream for you all to follow along! >> The project sample will be made available soon after the livestream! >> ahh forget it

Dave Ratti went ahead and answered questions that was asked on the stream in this .pdf. You can also find it linked under the “RESOURCES” section of the OP. The Project Files will be made available tomorrow!

Very interesting livestream, but after watching it live, and rewatching it for hours now trying to build a basic demo for myself to learn, it’s still nearly impossible to get ahead and accomplish anything. The material is dense and you guys didn’t really go into the basics even of building it from scratch :confused:
I echo the comment of one of the users above, this wasn’t really as educational as it could have been, and indeed it was just a tour. I will certainly look at the project file, but then again, we all have access to ActionRPG as well anyway. What we needed is a step-by-step demonstration, from the very very beginning of how to set this up from a blank canvas. “Monkey see, monkey do” is still a valid learning method when it comes to UE4 haha. I do hope you make another livestream that literally is a lesson; you have done this with other concepts, why not this one?

I agree with this. Starting from scratch is quite tricky. The actionRPG is nice but its quite complicated to try and bring it into your own project piece by piece. I’m hoping the project files help me out here. Based on the video, it looked like there were only a dozen or so c++ files so that looks nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Project files are now available here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/asset-sharing/1854758

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the project sample!

Question: what is a good way to debug why a GameplayCue isn’t playing… I made a very simple demo for myself, simpler than the livestream demo, also using a Paragon asset I had handy, and I used the same amount of Blueprints, and even less of the C++ we saw in the presentation and managed to get everything working: a GA_MeleeAttack that was playing montages, waiting for GameplayEvents, sending ApplyGameEffectToActor, playing a GameCue upon melee impact etc.
Then I got braver and tried to integrate more into an existing project where I tried to use more C++… and that’s where the nightmare started :slight_smile:
I can’t get any GameCues to play :frowning: My tags match. I verify the gameplay event is received correctly, enemy Health attribute depletes etc.

Also, what is a proper way to ‘SendGameplyEvent’ from code? I get Assert fails when I try to send it from my ability class… ended up using the abilitysystemblueprintlbirary…

1 Like

I get “page not found” for the project file links
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/asset-sharing/1854758

It redirects to this page: https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/a-guided-tour-of-gameplay-abilities-project-files/156670

1 Like