Infinity Mirror Room

Hi there,
I want to create a simple level with a 3mx3m infinity room but I am new to UE4 and have been fiddling with
RenderCapture2D for several days now to no avail.
See attached image … I am just not able to produce 2 separate accurate mirror reflections and have tried
everything that I could come up with with my virgin EU4 mind …
I can see the correct reflection in the little Scene Capture box so something is working, but the reflection
will not show in the main window.
I am starting to think that creating the effect I am looking for is perhaps not possible in EU4.
It seems a simple task but so far no luck, is a blueprint possibly the answer?

Any assistance (especially how to set up the blue print is greatly appreciated).
Cheers

No need to open a new thread. The old one was good enough :wink:

Try this project
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2tqidimj4arian/Mirrors.zip?dl=0

If you want an even better mirror, take a look here https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?29791-Mirror-Material-with-Roughness

Thank you so much … nice to wake up to this this morning and see it is indeed possible.
Question of the day is now am I going crazy because your setup appears to be the same as what I have but yet mine isn’t working??? My to-do this morning is figuring out the difference :slight_smile:
I’ll build your other linked suggestion as well, fingers crossed I can make that one work.

Thanks again, I hope others with mirror questions are helped out by this as well.

Hey ,

I finally managed to get it to work. I figured out that I needed to do the following steps:
CAMERA
1> Create a new SceneCapture2D: Models > All Classes > Scene Capture 2D > drag drop in view port where needed
2> Create Render Target: Content > R-click in Filter section > Create Advanced Asset > Materials & Textures > select Render Target > rename the NewTextureRenderRaget2D > Place as Texture Target for SceneCapture2D
MIRROR
3> Create mirror surface form Static Mesh
4> Create NewRenderTarget_Mat for mirror: R-click on NewTextureRenderRaget2D you just created > Create Material (creates a new material using this texture) > rename (very important, will not work without this step) > Place as Element 0 in the mirror material section

The reason I kept getting the wrong result is because I tried duplicating materials or create instances from existing materials and simply renamed them. When I finally figured out step 4 is when I had my correct mirror reflections.
Minor detail for the UE4 pro’s but major detail when you are just starting out.

Thanks for the setup ,
As you can see from the image I still have some tweaking to do but now I can move on to the next hurdle :slight_smile:
I might just have to move onto a cave environment, Unreal seems to excel in those:)

Your image looks funny. Good luck with your project!

I made a new version with better materials and higher render target resolution.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2tqidimj4arian/Mirrors.zip?dl=0

Wowsers, that is indeed the look I was going for, thanks again.
Any idea why it was giving those weird results?
I added a mirror surface to the floor as well, maybe that the issue?

In my first project i created a default material from render target. But the default material is lit, reflective, has specular and so on…
I use Unlit materials now - without roughness, specular, etc. It looks far better.

Your floor mirror should not be a problem.

Major progress made today :slight_smile: I can’t thank you enough for your guidance so far
I might have to rebuild the level … there is a ghost sphere floating around that is casting shadows … I’m unable to delete it as it does not appear to be in this level anymore.
Also it appears like the mirror image are stretched horizontally somewhat, is there a way to minimize that effect?