ImpostorBaker turns black foliage, unreal engine 5.0.1

I’ve migrate a project from UE 4.2.7 to UE 5.0.1
All procedural foliage with a LOD impostorbaker looks black, just the LOD with impostorbaker, all other LODs looks well.
Anyone has an idea how back it to normal apareance?

1 Like

Try looking at it with the overview visualization to see if it’s in a particular shader type:

It looks is just the LOD with impostorbaker

Are all the impostor textures ok? Do they appear black in the impostor material in the material editor?

All the impostorbaker but just when use procedural foliage volumen

on the left static mesh placed manually, on the right same mesh placed by procedural foliage volumen

hmmm, there is this note about lighting in the docs:

"Each individual mesh instance has its own shadow and/or light map generated by Lightmass, and these are tiled together for each precomputed batch. There are several settings on the Static Mesh that should be checked for precomputed lighting to operate well with instanced foliage. Lightmass is less forgiving when generating shadow maps for instanced meshes, and incorrect settings could lead to black meshes after rebuilding lighting. "

But I would have thought that would affect all LODs and also your 4.27 version. Out of interest though (I’m building support for Impostors into a plugin so want to learn as much about all aspects) - what happens if you increase the lightmap size?

By default it was 64. I tried light map resolution 128, 512, 1024, nothing happens

Something else to try is to ensure the LOD group is set to “Foliage”…

I changed to foliage group, problem persist

Ok, this one looks a little more promising :slight_smile:

“Are your lights set to static, stationary, or movable? The mesh you placed manually is set to static, so it will accept static lighting. The foliage tool sets meshes to movable by default, so they will not accept static lighting.”

All lights are movable. There are just two lights: sun and spotlight at sunset or evening. Spotlight has shadows desactivated

This is the last version on UE 4.27 where impostors works well, it’s supuse must looks like this in UE 5.01, but impostors are black

1 Like

I am having the same issue…
All the assets that are in a foliage are black, placed by themselves work just fine.

Would be nice to get a fix or at least a workaround for that.

1 Like

I have this issue too, did you happen to find a fix?

Nanite’s not enabled, is it?

i’ve tried with nanite enabled and disabled on the mesh, same result

For everyone who’s been experiencing this, an issue has been opened on Ryan Brucks GitHub page:

why is available on UE 5.0.1 plugins?

It was working on earlier versions.

I’m guessing it’s either tied into a bug with part of the UE5.0 rendering to rendermaps or because the material blueprints still contain some residue feature from UE4 like tesselation (should be compiled out with a static switch but maybe getting caught in a check).

If it’s still not fixed next week I’ll hopefully have some time to have a look at the blueprints.

1 Like

im facing this exact issue, if anyone finds a solution please post here

1 Like

Was having this bug as well, and found out that it got fixed if I disconnected the PDO in the impostor material. No clue about any complications that might happen down the line but it works for now.
PDO On -

PDO Off -