Impostor Baker

Hello mates,

I’m trying to use Impostor to my grass everything seems okay but I notice there’s a problem when I’m looking at the grass directly to the sun there are very dark area but the other side is okay look at the images for more explain of what I’m facing, I tried to combine basecolor texture with custom light texture and these are my settings
how can I solve it? thank you.

Hi yazan.2006,

Before trying to fix that, maybe do some timing tests to see if it actually reduces draw time - I have a feeling those impostors will just slow it down, and take a huge amount of VRAM.

how can I test if is it reducing performance or using amount of vram?
but I think its good because I used Impostor before with trees and it works greatly and the fps is more than 120

Paint a whole lot of them onto an empty level (just a landscape) - enough to see your machine slow down. then, test swapping the grass from it’s default LODs to using impostors.

You can use the “stat” commands “stat fps” and “stat TextureGroup” (from the console) to watch the data…

Trees are a lot more complex than grass - they have a lot more polygons and often have multiple textures (meaning multiple draw calls). Grass can often just be made with a simple set of planes with grass textures on them for any distance past a few meters.

I created new level as you said I put more than 20K grass and the fps is +120 and no issue with vram so I think its not reducing performance

If there’s not really any difference in FPS - it would be down to the difference of the World TextureGroup and WorldNormal TextureGroup (unless your Impostors use the Impostor Texture Groups, but they don’t normally by default)

tbh I don’t know what should I do can you explain more about what I do sorry for misunderstanding

Yes that’s correct. Just look at the difference in the World and WorldNormal Texture Groups when using the grass with and without the impostor LOD.