Dormikon
(Dormikon)
August 12, 2026, 3:49pm
1
Summary
When importing a static mesh it gets renamed to an existing asset, with the engine asking weather or not to overwrite that asset.
Please select what you are reporting on:
Unreal Editor for Fortnite
What Type of Bug are you experiencing?
Assets
Steps to Reproduce
Create and import a mesh , in my case SM_rock_cube.
Create and import a second version, for example SM_rock_cube_A
Expected Result
The second rock with a different name should be added to the project.
Observed Result
UEFN says “asset already exists, do you want to overwrite it?”
Platform(s)
Windows 11
Dormikon
(Dormikon)
August 12, 2026, 3:52pm
2
I should mention that that rock is also used as foliage, in case that causes the conflict.
Mineblo
(Mineblo)
August 12, 2026, 3:56pm
3
Could the file you are importing also importing other assets with it maybe? like textures etc that use the same name? I’m not sure what could be the causer
Dormikon
(Dormikon)
August 12, 2026, 7:02pm
4
No, I have the option to import materials and textures disabled. I take from your question that you can’t reproduce this effect?
Mineblo
(Mineblo)
August 13, 2026, 11:03am
5
What file type is the assets you want to import?
.fbx .obj?
I’ll try to repro
Dormikon
(Dormikon)
August 13, 2026, 12:20pm
6
Fbx, created in ZBrush, imported as static mesh. Thanks for looking into this!
Dormikon
(Dormikon)
August 13, 2026, 12:34pm
7
Hi @Mineblo ,
So I just imported another rock, SM_Rock_rotated_cube.fbx into the folder containing SM_Rock_cube, and now there is no conflict. It’s a little embarrassing, but that overwrite conflict was happening all day long, that’s why I created a ticket. Sorry if wasted anyone’s time.
This case can be closed I guess.
1 Like