Import into Level fbx

Hey guys !

Lately i tried to bring a massive world into Unreal Engine for a RP game with friends so i’ve got all out into multiple FBX parts ready to import but my problem is :

Into these FBX (or blender files) i have multiple static meshes that are the same ,like Tree01 duplicated multiple times, and when i’m importing this FBX into UE4 i have these duplicated assets all over the place and i was wondering if there is a way to “merge at import” or a fast way to delete these duplicates and have only 1 referencing asset into my folders ?

I dont really want to spend dont know how much time cleaning ~30k copies.

Hope you got an idea and thanks for all answers. :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering :slight_smile:
I’ll look into these export settings !

I don’t think there is any way to do this at the import stage - it depends on the export. Whatever you are using to export needs to have the nodes set up as instances of those meshes.

There is a way you could manually do it from unreal via Window->Developer Tools->Merge Actors but this isn’t a good workflow.

You can achieve the merge action by using VisualDataprep, just filter out StaticMeshActors by ActorLabel (Assuming they are prefab or having the same name with different suffix numbers), then use Merge to make all the mesh into a new StaticMesh. The action has been written in the VisualDataprep, and hence can be repeat as if you there’s anything you need to change. Just a better workflow that will save you time to manually select all the component.

Unreal document for reference:

Visual Dataprep Operation Reference | Unreal Engine Documentation

Holy ■■■■, this sounds amazing !
I’m not really used to Blender (or others 3D modeling software) so it totally looks like what i needed ! Thank you so much :wink: