Import FBX from MODO with multiple UVs

In MODO you have your vertex normals, vertex colors, uv’s and all sort of stuff in “vertex maps” and import in UE4 was pretty fine up to this moment.
Whenever I add second UV channel/map to my mesh - UE4 stops to import vertex color channel/map and just paint my vertices black.
Also, if I try to to reimport mesh with vertex color map - it’s reimporting incorrectly with some glitches
I’ve could use auto generation lightmap uv, but this particlar mesh have a lot of overlapping polys(Intentionally, it is a lot of cubes with painted vertices to be animated later) and autogen does not work correctly.

Hi ZeOrb,

I don’t have access to MODO so I can’t test your exact case here necessarily to narrow down exactly what’s happening.

Would you mind posting some screen shots of your settings for your mesh from the mesh editor. Particularly the static mesh settings and the advanced settings therein.

Would you also be willing to share the asset in question that is causing the issue? You can share via a link here or in a PM to me on the forums if you’re willing to.

Lastly, can you list your repro steps from creation to the error? Maybe it’s something I can recreate with Max and see if I get the same results. If it’s something that affects both that may mean it’s more an FBX thing or something wrong with the import to UE4. Narrowing down where the cause is occurring can help know where to focus efforts more.

Thanks!

Tim

Hey Tim!
I’ve made short video with whole process

And fbx:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpjsy8nr00inyxx/VertexColor_1UVChannel.fbx?dl=0

Hello Tim, any news?

Eric had a look at this one for me a little bit ago. (FYI: the meshes are labeled opposite to what they actually are)

This appears to be an issue with the FBX exporter from MODO in this case and may need to be reported with them.

The vertex color information is not being saved correctly with MODO to the one with multiple UVs. When I import this file in Max and when Eric imported into Maya it doesn’t have any information. The single UV one has the painted vertex information present.

Apologies for the delay.

Okie-dokie, I will contact their support then
Thanks, Tim!

Any update on this? Curious about a multi-uv workflow as well.

@blented You may want to check with MODO’s staff and site. Unfortunately, this is not directly related to UE4.

MODO recently released their version 901 so maybe there is better support or fixes with this release.

I exported an FBX from 3dsMax 2016 with 3 UV channels and vertex colors then imported that into MODO 901.

Exporting that same mesh back out of MODO 901 gives me 3 UV channels as expected but no vertex colors. A mesh with a single UV channel and single vertex color channel works fine.

This forum post seems to confirm multiple UVs + vertex color being broken in MODO:
[[Bug] FBX import from MODO - Feedback for Unreal Engine team - Unreal Engine Forums][1]

I’ve filed a bug w/ The Foundry.

45250-mapnames.png

Hi guys,
I’ve faced the same problem in Modo.

After several tests, I realized that when Modo exports fbx, it creates another vertex map, if you use 2 UV Channel. This can be easily fixed by reimporting the mesh with different import settings.

So, we’ve got to export two models from Modo:

1. first one with a single UV channel and vertex map
  2. second one with 2 UV channels
    then we import both models into UE4
  3. The first model with the following import settings: Vertex Color Import Option: Replace
  4. The second model with the following import settings: Vertex Color Import Option: Ignore

a bit inconvenient, yet it works!!!

Thank you, that worked for me! Tested using Modo 10.2