Since looks like Blender just shutdown the development of the FBX plugin and they got problems with the FBX SDK license, why Epic games or the Blender group don’t make a plugin under MIT for example for UE4 or include the plugin with the engine ?
- Direct control from .blend scene.
- Import of Static and Skeleton meshes.
- Import of textures.
- Import of material properties.
- More import settings.
- Control of the FBX SDK, since is begin used with UE4 already.
- MIT licensed or included with the UE4 EULA, no problems with GPL.
The basic idea is read the .blend files in UE4 with a custom frame to select what import and what no and in engine make the conversion to FBX and then use as a normal FBX file.
Read the selected .blend file, then select the entities and read the prefix of the files to import properly each model (collisions, skeletons, etc) and then convert the selection to FBX.
Plugin should be MIT/Zlib/BSD or other of that licenses but no GPL or LGPL.