Implementing new skeletal controls (c++)

Hi,

I would like to implement my own skeletal controls for use in an anim graph. In my particular case, I’m seeking to recreate the SkelControlLookAt of UE3, which contained mechanics to limit/bound the extent to which the bone could rotate (mechanics not found in Skeletal control ‘Look At’ - I’m using ue4.5)

I can create a new struct inheriting from FAnimNode_SkeletalControlBase, and the project compiles successfully. However, I can’t get the new skeletal control to show up in the list of skeletal controls on any anim graph (I’ve also tried restarting ue4). Can anyone offer any helpful advice on where I’m going wrong?

Many thanks,

USTRUCT()
struct MYGAME_API FAnimNode_Aim : public FAnimNode_SkeletalControlBase

You also need to create a new graph node that shows in the graph itself. I’m away from my unreal machine at the moment so I can’t point you to the exact code, but there are 2 components. The Actual AnimNode that does the work, and the graphics portion of the node that shows in the graph editor and has all the pins set up.

I think if you take any other existing animnode and search for the same name you should find the corresponding graph editor node so you’ll know how to edit it.

Thanks illYay for your quick reply. Looking into this I believe you are correct!

However, I’m having a problem including the relevant files in Source/Editor/AnimGraph; for my project I must use the engine distributed via Unreal Engine Launcher, rather than compile from source. The c++ project seems to get headers from Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine only.

In light of this, I’m currently unable to test this solution. Do you know of a way to remedy this? Is it as simple as adding an external dependency to the c++ project for Source/Editor?

Cheers again!

I myself compile from source.

Ever since a certain unreal engine version, they stopped including as many headers so you have to sometimes manually include a more detailed path like Editor/AnimGraph and it might work.

I tried that but unfortunately it couldn’t pick up the other dependencies. I wont plunge into the unreal build tool today, but I think perhaps there is a way to overcome the problem there.

Thanks for your help illYay! Have you implemented these nodes yourself before? I would like to mark the solution as accepted but wish to verify this first (as I can’t produce the solution myself yet).

Hi There, I am stuck at the same problem. Did you find a solution? If so would you mind to share it?