I'm making a map with geometry, but I don't know what the benefits are

I’m going to make it into Wolfenstein Doom style with extreme minimalism of pixel texture

But geometry seems taking more resources while editing i think, so it feels like it’s stuttering

I think the static mesh that just matched the grid and repeatedly wrote the world coordinate material is better

Am I mistaken? Is there any advantage of geometry for level design

Hey @99st!

So the boon of using geometry for level design goes a lot deeper when you aren’t using simple shapes like this, however there is one big instance of use here:

You grab all of the walls, maybe even the floor. Then in the details window, if they’re all geometry, you get the option of combining them all into one static mesh, reducing draws significantly. Select the centermost piece last, as this will be the anchor.

Of course you can use carving, bezels, negative pieces (they remove geometry, so you could easily make things like holes or doors.

Check out this video, it’s not long and you’ll likely learn some really good uses for your project:

Disclaimer: This link is not affiliated with Epic Games, Unreal Engine, or their partners.