Im getting a video memory error with a RTX 3060 Ti

Out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource. Make sure your video card has the minimum required memory, try lowering the resolution and/or closing other applications that are running. Exiting…

that’s the error im getting I have an RTX 3060Ti, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-12600K, 3700 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s), and 32 GB of ram…

now I never used to get this error until I updated to unreal engine 5.2 any ideas?

Shader model 6 uses a lot of space compared to 5.

If you’re one of those people who fills very large levels with many materials ( hence textures ), and grass and trees and… And you were already using a healthy amount of VRAM, I think moving to SM6 would push you over.

It’s no good, can’t find anything that really nails it. All I know, is the DX12/SM6 switch had a major effect on shader instructions and complexity, and I’m assuming that is getting translated to VRAM.

Perhaps this

2 Likes

so any ideas on what i can do to fix this? im trying to add water to my level with the water plugin and getting that error ?

1 Like

To be clear, you have an empty level, and you can’t put water in it?

well i have a terrain 9,181 x 9,181 and cannot add water cuz its giving me that error

before I was able to do a 14k x 14k map and add water without any error

You had 5.1 before?

yessir

Then I don’t know. I assume it’s not what I was talking about earlier, you would have had it with 5.1

I noticed there were a lot of landscape updates in the 5.2 release notes. I guess it’s possible one fix introduced another error. But that’s just guessing…

Possibly, guess ill have to downgrade to 5.1 and see if the error persists

1 Like

Didn’t work. Still getting the same error. I don’t understand how I went from being able to upload a 14k by 14k map with water to not being able to upload anything but a 9k by 9k map with no water or else I crash and get that error I tell you one thing it’s irritating my soul LOL

1 Like

Weird. It used to work?

What is different? Is anything different?

Yep it used to work only thing different is I reinstalled windows and the engine after that I start getting the error

1 Like

Ah…

Two things I’m thinking:

1. Windows is not totally patched

2. There’s a project option in the engine you forgot to set?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.