IKinema for VR

Hey guys,

To touch on the questions raised by @dcaspi and @TacoShank.

Crouching:It is possible to get crouching behaviour to work. However, with a typical HMD/Motion controller setup, you cannot solve for the lower body in the same way you can for the upper body. This is because you have no captured data for the lower body. With a HMD/Motion controller set, the positions of the hands and head are being tracked giving you the target positions (for head and hands) from which you can solve for the rest of the body via IK for your in-game avatar. When it comes to appendages such as legs/hips however, (which are vital for crouching) there is no direct tracking of their positions in the real world. This means that to achieve specific poses like crouching, you have to derive the target positions of say the hips and the knees relative to data you do have (such as the position of the head). Effectively, you could link the target position of end effectors you aren’t tracking (feet, hips, knees) to the current position of the head and then solve for the body.

Walking: This isn’t possible in the sense that you could solve for the lower body based on the physical position of your feet since, as I mentioned, there is no feet tracking. If there were then you could indeed solve for walking motion. The problem is that without feet tracking you can’t really tell the difference between things such as taking a small step and leaning if you don’t know the position of your feet for example. You can of course include movement via. controller type inputs while including the sort of IK solving found in demo above.

Hi @-IKinema,

Thank you for your reply.
I understand the problems with the walking mechanism but I`m sure its better then not moving at all in room scale games, I think it will be great (Even if its not 100% accurate) to have it.
Is it something you think you could provide? an example or tutorial?

Thanks,
Doron

We are experimenting with a few approaches to drive the rig automaticall, for the lower body, with animation, but as you said, this will not be 100% accurate.

With the current IKinema tools, you can experiment passing animation for the body/lower part of the body and use the solve on top. This is actually how IKinema is used in most of the VR applications …

@anonymous_user_f388629a, I would love doing that, but currently Im still unable to detect the speed and direction of the VIVE when Im walking.
Im new to UE4 but Im pretty sure I`ll figure it out eventually :slight_smile:

It’s the Epic Mega Jam later this week… is there any chance of another indie coupon soonish?

I’ve just been playing with the IKinema Gnome VR demo. Has anyone been able to reduce the lag between motion controller position and the gnomes hand position? It needs much better latency to be a viable solution for a player character’s rig.

If you could open up the gnome_BP blueprint and for each motion controller component (LeftMotionCtr, RightMotionCtr) tick the “Disable Low Latency Update” option in the details ->Motion Controller tab. If that doesn’t solve your problem could you enter “stat ikinema” into the console when in game. The solve times have been tested and should be very low for this character, if that’s not the case for you could you report back.

The demo project in our documentation has been updated: Found here.

IKinema RunTime VR updated to 4.13 - New Feature

We are pleased to announce that the VR functionality included in IKinema’s RunTime has been updated with release of 3.1, which is live now. We have streamlined the VR Rig workflow by including separate, pre-oriented tasks for both the Left and Right Motion Controllers. This decreases the time needed for setup but boosts quality of the IK solving with fine-tuned orientation and preset task values that have undergone extensive testing.

To accompany this release, we have put together a new demo project featuring the new VR features which can be found here: Dropbox Link

There will also be a step-by-step tutorial going through the set up process coming in the following days. So stay tuned for that.

If you want to try it out, you can do so here with a free 14 day trial: http://www.ikinema.com/index.php?mod=indie_games

Hi guys,

As mentioned above, there is a text tutorial covering the creation of the demo project found here.

Tutorial Here: HumanoidVR Step-By-Step Tutorial

Video of the solving in action:

We received a lot of requests for a way to drive the lower body of a character with only the traditional motion controllers/HMD. We have been doing some experimentation and found that we can in fact reliably drive the lower body of the character allowing for crouching behaviour (shown in the video/tutorial). It is something we are quite excited about and are working on expanding/developing this functionality.

Is there any news on 4.14 Indie Runtime version yet?

Hey, we are working on it. An unexpected change has brought up a non-trivial problem with our licensing system. I will keep you updated.

Thanks ! ^_^! look forward to it’s release :slight_smile: .

Hey , you should be able to access the latest 4.14 patch for RunTime Indie from your account page now. Everything is operational.

Great plugin, I played with it a bit and it has potential to be awesome. I am using unreal 4.14, and default skeleton for VIVE project.

However i have some problems:

• first one may be due to A pose skeleton that i manually reverted to T pose (probably offsets and angles are wrong). my hand controllers have weird offsets.
  • for some reason Task and bone editor refuses to save one of motion controlers location and rotation. After editing it and reloading ikinema asset it reverts that controller to some random position around where it loaded for first time.
  • where i download your demo for 4.14. There is demo for 4.13 but i cannot get plugin for 4.13. Also I could not find download section on your website.

And minor things i want to mention:

• undo does random things
  • it would be nice to have some snap to bone function for controllers and hmd. Also numerical fields for them to manually add offset and rotations relative to selected bone.
  • controllers cannot be selected when floor mesh is in view behind them.
  • tooltips in editor for all those numbers in tasks details, just one sentence in unreal, with better explanation on website.

When matured more this plugin will be great. So keep doing good job.

Hi ,

Just to let you know, we have released a new version of the UE4.14 plugin that should fix the issue with the controller offset. Can you please re-download and let us know?

Hi Guys, how long is your processing time for new orders of the Runtime-Indie version?

Hey, once the payment goes through you will receive your license immediately, if you are having an issue could you send us an email at

Hello,
I’m trying Trial version before buying license, I’ve a problem with character rotation, Is it possible to rotate mesh when user rotate his body (Mesh is always static and not rotate) ? I need upper body not legs for example belt is important for me.

Also what’s the best way to set location of the mesh to HMD device ? I tried Set World Location to camera, Set World location to HMD position, also i tried attach to camera component but problem was rotation when i used attach…

Thanks

Yes it is possible to rotate your avatar when the player rotates his body. To do this you would need to track the orientation of your player (you can get this info from the HMD orientation) and use that to drive the hips task of your character for instance. Any rotation of your players head will be reflected in the hips causing the whole body to rotate.

Without a tracker on the belt though, it is not possible to get exact rotation, that is just a limitation of the typical HMD/ 2 motion controller setup.

You can set the position of the HMD task in the VR IKinema Rig. You can modify the position and rotation as you need. For a detailed set up, we have a demo project here: )

Thanks, I made my test project and almost everything was good with UE4 template third person model, but I had two critical problem:
When i pickup a weapon in my project and when i tried to aiming arm position wasn’t good and it goes into boddy when another player looking at you it’s very bad, another problem was a little lag when i moving controllers takes a little amount of time to update animations .

Regards