If you're new to game development and 3D animation, what would your ideal system set up be?

I would actually be using UE5, but I’m brand spankin new. I need to buy a system and want to know what you would buy, pc, laptop, both? What other hardware is needed and software? 32Gb ram, 64Gb, quad core, octo core? Etcetera…

Desktop > Laptop. But you cannot (really shouldn’t) take the desktop on a train…

• are you going to work while moving around the country → laptop
  • are you going to take advantage of the global pandemic and work from home, pantless → desktop

Like this:

What other hardware is needed

• chair, good non-gaming chair, a quality office chair; if you’re 20 now, you’ll be 40 at some point. Do yourself a favour :slight_smile:
  • a second screen, ignore the 165MHz 1ms gaming stuff. Good colour reproduction, 27+ inches, discard any 1080p screens immediately. The 21:9 & 32:9 are handy.

and software?

When I recently built my PC, I sort of already knew what I wanted in the system and what it was going to be used for , but narrow down my search I went to https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder just get a little more clarity that I was heading in the right direction and staying in budget even the budget got really inflated after while.

I would say that would be a good start actually deciding if you want a dedicated desktop or laptop would be the first place to start then going from there. Good Luck

You can also have a look at:

…to get a decent understanding of the pricing ranges. The site is somewhat geared towards gaming rather than game-dev. So you could opt for double the RAM, higher tier CPU and a lower tier GPU instead.